Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 24

Thread: MailMate not learning whitelist or blocklist

  1. #1

    Default MailMate not learning whitelist or blocklist

    I have set up MailMate [1.9.4(r5238)] with SpamSieve (2.9.24) as per the SpamSieve manual. Despite multiple trainings, and many weeks of use, messages marked as "good" are flagged as spam, and vice versa. Any idea how to trouble shoot this?

  2. #2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AsafKeller View Post
    Despite multiple trainings, and many weeks of use, messages marked as "good" are flagged as spam, and vice versa. Any idea how to trouble shoot this?
    Please see:


  3. #3

    Default

    I have consulted all the above. Here is an example: Mail from Wells Fargo Online (address = alerts@notify.wellsfargo.com) is consistently marked as junk, despite the log stating "matched rule <From (address) Is Equal to "alerts@notify.wellsfargo.com"> in SpamSieve whitelist". The message has not been read on any other device, nor has it been flagged by the mail server (fastmail).

    OS X 10.10.5 (14F1713) Kernel Version:Darwin 14.5.0

    Please let me know if there is additional information that might be helpful.

  4. #4

    Default

    OS X 10.10.5 (14F1713) Kernel Version:Darwin 14.5.0

    I have consulted all the above. The messages have not been read on any other device, nor have they been flagged by the mail server (fastmail). A couple of examples:
    (1) Messages from mailer@doodle.com are consistently flagged as junk, yet the log says "matched rule <From (address) Is Equal to "mailer@doodle.com"> in SpamSieve whitelist"
    (2) Messages from ebay@ebay.com are consistently flagged as junk, yet the log says "matched rule <From (address) Is Equal to "ebay@ebay.com"> in SpamSieve whitelist"

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AsafKeller View Post
    The messages have not been read on any other device, nor have they been flagged by the mail server (fastmail).
    How do you know that they were not flagged as junk by the mail server’s filter?

    Quote Originally Posted by AsafKeller View Post
    A couple of examples:
    (1) Messages from mailer@doodle.com are consistently flagged as junk, yet the log says "matched rule <From (address) Is Equal to "mailer@doodle.com"> in SpamSieve whitelist"
    (2) Messages from ebay@ebay.com are consistently flagged as junk, yet the log says "matched rule <From (address) Is Equal to "ebay@ebay.com"> in SpamSieve whitelist"
    Assuming that you have correctly matched the messages to the log entries, SpamSieve did not classify those messages as spam. So I would look for whether you have any server or MailMate rules that might have done this. It might also help to enable some MailMate debug logging.

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Tsai View Post
    How do you know that they were not flagged as junk by the mail server’s filter?
    It might also help to enable some MailMate debug logging.
    I assume they are not, because they do not appear in the spam folder on fastmail's web interface. I have set up debug logging, will report all I find. In the meantime, here is another example of messages that were read on no other device, and are flagged despite the whitelist entry.

    From: appleid@id.apple.com
    Reason: P(spam)=0.000[0.000], bias=-0.519, H:X-Sent-To(0.000), x-sent-to:%(0.000), x-sent-to:%(0.000), x-sent-to:^long-2-30(0.000), x-sent-to:^long-2-30(0.000), x-sent-to:^long-2-50(0.000), x-sent-to:^long-2-50(0.000), C:paragraphs(0.000), U:appleid(0.000), U:appleid(0.000), I:icloud(0.000), I:icloud(0.000), U:icloud(0.000), U:icloud(0.000), U:gh(0.000)
    Subject: Your Apple ID information has been updated.
    From: appleid@id.apple.com
    Actions: added rule <From (address) Is Equal to "appleid@id.apple.com"> to SpamSieve whitelist, added rule <From (address) Is Equal to "appleid_usen@email.apple.com"> to SpamSieve whitelist
    Subject: Your Apple ID information has been updated.
    From: appleid@id.apple.com
    Subject: Your receipt from Apple.
    From: no_reply@email.apple.com
    "no_reply@email.apple.com"
    ) matched rule <From (address) Is Equal to "no_reply@email.apple.com"> in SpamSieve whitelist
    Subject: Your receipt from Apple.
    From: no_reply@email.apple.com
    Subject: Your Apple ID was used to sign in to iCloud via a web browser.
    Subject: Your receipt from Apple.
    From: no_reply@email.apple.com
    "no_reply@email.apple.com"
    ) matched rule <From (address) Is Equal to "no_reply@email.apple.com"> in SpamSieve whitelist

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AsafKeller View Post
    I assume they are not, because they do not appear in the spam folder on fastmail's web interface.
    That is an incorrect assumption because, separate from moving the messages to the Spam mailbox, FastMail can mark in the message’s headers that it thinks it’s spam (but not spammy enough to move it). It’s also possible that it’s setting the IMAP junk flag.

    By the way, could you clarify what you mean when you say that the message is flagged as spam in MailMate? Is there a number for the Spam Score?

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Tsai View Post
    That is an incorrect assumption because, separate from moving the messages to the Spam mailbox, FastMail can mark in the message’s headers that it thinks it’s spam (but not spammy enough to move it). It’s also possible that it’s setting the IMAP junk flag.
    I am searching the header information, but I am not sure what to look for. Would you guide me?

    By the way, could you clarify what you mean when you say that the message is flagged as spam in MailMate? Is there a number for the Spam Score?
    Is this the information you are referring to? Reason: P(spam)=0.000[0.000], bias=-0.519

  9. #9

    Default

    One more piece of (potentially useful) information: I almost never have problems such as these using Mail.app.

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AsafKeller View Post
    I am searching the header information, but I am not sure what to look for.
    Are there any headers that start with X-Spam?

    Quote Originally Posted by AsafKeller View Post
    Is this the information you are referring to? Reason: P(spam)=0.000[0.000], bias=-0.519
    No, I was referring to this column in MailMate:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MailMate Spam Score.png 
Views:	123 
Size:	12.6 KB 
ID:	576

    And also asking you where you see that the message was marked as spam.

    Quote Originally Posted by AsafKeller View Post
    One more piece of (potentially useful) information: I almost never have problems such as these using Mail.app.
    Are you using the same mail account with MailMate and Mail simultaneously?

  11. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Tsai View Post
    Are there any headers that start with X-Spam?
    Yes. X-Spam-score: 99, for example. For an address repeatedly whitelisted.

    No, I was referring to this column in MailMate:
    I now activated this column, and the spam score matches that in the header (As expected).

    And also asking you where you see that the message was marked as spam.
    It is in MailMate's Junk folder, were its junk state is set to "junk"/

    Are you using the same mail account with MailMate and Mail simultaneously?
    I am not.

  12. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AsafKeller View Post
    Yes. X-Spam-score: 99, for example. For an address repeatedly whitelisted.
    This means that a server filter classified the message as spam. I’m not sure why MailMate is using this instead of the score from SpamSieve. I will contact the developer.

  13. #13

    Default

    Thank you. And thank you for your patient assistance.

  14. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AsafKeller View Post
    Thank you. And thank you for your patient assistance.
    The developer says that MailMate only moves messages if SpamSieve says they’re spam, and it won’t take other headers into consideration. However, it’s possible that you have your own rule in MailMate that’s doing something. He suggests that you could send in the file:

    ~/Library/Application Support/MailMate/Mailboxes.plist

    to check for any such rules.

  15. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Tsai View Post
    He suggests that you could send in the file
    Attached (I had to change the extension to txt). Thanks!
    Last edited by Michael Tsai; 03-29-2016 at 08:46 PM. Reason: File removed for privacy.

  16. #16

    Default

    I’m starting to think this may be just a display confusion. When you find one of these messages that SpamSieve’s log says it classified as good, which mailbox is it in? The MailMate developer reminded me that the Spam Score column is supposed to show the score from the server junk filter. There is a separate SpamSieve Score column that should match what you see in SpamSieve’s log. And whether the message was moved to the Junk mailbox should correspond with the SpamSieve Score column being 50 or higher.

  17. #17

    Default

    I am not sure I fully understand your question/point, but here is my best effort at a response.
    My main issue is with messages that I whitelist, but that repeatedly revert to junk status, with a SpamSieve score >50 (99, for example). These messages are in MailMate's Junk folder.

  18. #18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AsafKeller View Post
    My main issue is with messages that I whitelist, but that repeatedly revert to junk status, with a SpamSieve score >50 (99, for example). These messages are in MailMate's Junk folder.
    The main point I was trying to make is that there are two different columns in MailMate that show spam scores. For the messages in question, could you give some examples of what both of these columns say?

    Secondly, I’m curious about the fact that you said the messages are in MailMate’s Junk folder but that they are not in FastMail’s. The messages should sync and appear in the same folder everywhere.

  19. #19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Tsai View Post
    The main point I was trying to make is that there are two different columns in MailMate that show spam scores. For the messages in question, could you give some examples of what both of these columns say?
    (apologies for the delayed response.) One of the messages I repeatedly whitelist has a Spam Score = 0 and a SpamSieve Score = 100

    Secondly, I’m curious about the fact that you said the messages are in MailMate’s Junk folder but that they are not in FastMail’s. The messages should sync and appear in the same folder everywhere.
    I misspoke. Of course the message appears in both folder.

  20. #20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AsafKeller View Post
    One of the messages I repeatedly whitelist has a Spam Score = 0 and a SpamSieve Score = 100
    What does SpamSieve’s log say the score is (the number in parentheses after “Predicted:”)?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Scheduling MailMate Backups
    By hsleff in forum EagleFiler
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-20-2015, 09:06 AM
  2. MailMate. Your opinion vs Apple Mail?
    By dcoplan in forum SpamSieve
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-13-2015, 04:49 PM
  3. MailMate Training mailboxes not working
    By FbxSteve in forum SpamSieve
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-19-2015, 10:53 AM
  4. SpamSieve not learning
    By algood1 in forum SpamSieve
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-03-2013, 11:46 AM
  5. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-25-2012, 12:23 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •