How can I execute "Train as Spam" from a rule in Apple Mail?

I want the “Train as Spam” script to perform some additional steps in addition to moving the message to the Junk Folder. For example, I would like change background color.

I know how to do this as a rule in Entourage but how do I do this in Apple Mail?

Thanks.

Could you tell me more about what you’re trying to do? The “SpamSieve - Train as Spam” menu command already changes the background color.

That’s the problem…if a new email is auto-detected as spam it changes the background color to gray. If I manually tell it to “Train as Spam” it’s not changing the background color.

I have a smart filter that shows me all inbound mail (both spam and good mail). It is difficult to differentiate the the good mail from the junk that I have trained because they both have white backgrounds.

So it there a way to apply “train as spam” as a rule…as I could in Entourage?

It should because the script and rule use the same preference to determine whether to set the color. I’ve not heard any other cases of this not working. Which version of Mac OS X are you using?

No, but I don’t see any reason that you would need to do that. You should only train as spam messages that you’ve specifically identified as spam and that were not caught by SpamSieve. Attaching the training script to a rule would cause too many other messages to be trained as spam.

I am running Yosemite 10.10.5

Please click this link to enable some debug logging. Then quit and relaunch SpamSieve and then Mail. If you now train a message as spam, there should be some additional information logged to Console. Does it say “Trained message as spam” and then “Changed backround color to gray”?

Thanks. I ran the “SpamSieve - Change Settings” script again it appears to have corrected the problem.