SpamSieve Public Beta and macOS 10.12 Sierra

When there’s a new version of the operating system, SpamSieve typically needs an update for compatibility with the new version of Apple Mail. Mail will present an error saying:

Mail has disabled the following plug-ins:

SpamSieve

Contact the makers of these plug-ins for versions that are compatible with Mail 10.0.

We make a public beta version of SpamSieve available for compatibility with the latest macOS beta:

The beta release notes are available in the Software Update window and also in the Version History section of the manual (in the Help menu).

We do not recommend using a macOS beta on your main Mac, as there may be bugs that we have not had time to, or cannot, work around. With that said, we do welcome bug reports so that we can investigate any bugs and report them to Apple or try to develop workarounds. Please submit any feedback or bug reports via e-mail, rather than posting here.

When the new version of macOS is finalized and released to everyone, we (usually within hours) test SpamSieve with the release version and finalize the new version of SpamSieve. The new version is announced on the SpamSieve mailing list, blog, and Twitter feed and becomes available via the Software Update… command. It’s best to update SpamSieve before updating macOS. To prevent macOS from updating itself without asking you, go to the App Store section of System Preferences and make sure that Install macOS updates is unchecked.

Apple Mail under macOS 10.12 Sierra Developer Preview 1 (16A201w) is not yet supported. This thread will be updated as new information becomes available.

SpamSieve 2.9.25b3 adds preliminary support for macOS 10.12 Sierra DP 1 (16A201w).

SpamSieve 2.9.25b4 adds preliminary support for macOS 10.12 Sierra Seed 2.

SpamSieve is not compatible with Apple Mail in macOS 10.12 Developer Beta 3. The plug-in loads, but it is not able to hook into the rule, so the rule will move every message to the Spam mailbox without consulting SpamSieve. Due to Mac App Store problems, I have not been able to download this update yet for testing. Hopefully that will be resolved soon, and I will be able to update SpamSieve.

I don’t know about Sierra beta 3, but I’ve had a number of MAS issues in the past and I usually was able to install the System updates through the Terminal using “softwareupdate -ia”

Corentin

Thanks. I tried that, but it seems to initiate the same process as the Mac App Store app; it finds the updates but can’t download them. I also tried a safe boot without success. Update: What eventually worked was installing a fresh copy of Beta 1 and then updating that to Beta 3.

SpamSieve 2.9.25b5 is now available with support for macOS 10.12 Developer Beta 3.

Thank you Michael
a quick response/update as always
your work is much appreciated

I confirm that nearly every messages goes to the spam, even the mails from a sender that is in the Contacts Address Book.
Sierra 10.12 (16A303a) and SpamSieve 2.9.25b5

Andrimont

You are replying to an old post. The SpamSieve public beta has worked with Sierra for months. If every message is going to the Spam mailbox, please see this page.

SS on 10.12 GM not moving messages to the spam folder

I’m a developer at Apple and have been using SpamSieve for years. I haven’t been using SS on any of the 10.12 betas; I waited until we released the 10.12 GM.

Thus, I’m currently running 10.12 GM and SS 2.9.25b6.

I’ve followed all of the normal trouble shooting steps but no matter what I do every spam message ends up in my Inbox. If I manually select “Train as spam” the message is correctly moved to my spam folder.

The only thing I see in Console.app is: “switching to keychain-db: /Users/Xxxx/Library/Keychains/login.keychain-db from /Users/Xxxx/Library/Keychains/login.keychain-db (0 1 1 1)”

Is this a known issue with the GM?

Thanks,
Robert

No, this is not a known issue. Please check your rule and follow up via e-mail if it’s still not working for you.

SpamSieve 2.9.25 has now shipped, so it is no longer necessary to use a beta version of SpamSieve for compatibility with macOS 10.12.0.

SpamSieve 2.9.26b1 is now available with support for macOS 10.12.1 Beta 1.

SpamSieve 2.9.28b2 supports macOS 10.12.4 Beta 1 (16E144f).

Spamsieve sending all to SPAM with Mac OS 10.12.4 beta 1
Updated to Mac OS 10.12.4 figuring if the plugin isn’t capable, it wouldn’t run SpamSieve … All my email when to my Spam folder due to my SpamSieve rule.

Installed the beta version …renabled the SpamSieve rule and still all email goes to Spam. Been using SpamSieve for many years so its not like all my email is spam.

That is the normal behavior if SpamSieve’s Mail plug-in is not loaded, e.g. because your version of SpamSieve is too old.

Quoting the beta release notes:

It’s easiest if you update to SpamSieve 2.9.28 before updating to 10.12.4. In any case, if you don’t see the SpamSieve commands in Apple Mail’s Message menu, be sure to choose Install Apple Mail Plug-In from the SpamSieve menu. Otherwise, with the SpamSieve plug-in not installed, Mail will move good messages to the spam mailbox without consulting SpamSieve.

Nice, thanks for all the updates.