Export Tags as Spotlight Comments

I’m an absolute Newbie to EF. Maybe it’s an old and boring question, but I have to ask:
I would like to keep my tags as spotlight comments, when I export a tagged file from EF. Is there a way to do so?
Thank you.

If you’re a newbie, then perhaps I should ask: are you sure that you need to export, given that the files in the library are already accessible in the Finder?

To answer your question, EagleFiler’s Export command currently copies the files in a way that does not preserve the Spotlight comments. However, you can drag and drop files out of EagleFiler, while holding down the Option key, to copy them somewhere. In this case, the Finder will copy the files, and so the comments will contain the tags (if you had selected that option in the preferences).

By the way, there is a regression where copying the tags to the Spotlight comments doesn’t work properly in EagleFiler 1.3. This will be fixed in 1.3.1.

Thank you, Michael, for your reply.

By the way, there is a regression where copying the tags to the Spotlight comments doesn’t work properly in EagleFiler 1.3. This will be fixed in 1.3.1.

Presumably it’s that behaviour. I exported a file via drag & drop and found the given tag turned into an »unread«-tag in the spotlight comment field.

If this is a problem for anyone, e-mail me and I’ll send you a pre-release build that fixes this.

The regression where copying tags to the Spotlight comments didn’t work is fixed in EagleFiler 1.3.1.

I wanted to do something similar to this as well.
I found it did not work for me as described.
Maybe I’m doing something wrong.

I have a record with tags. I have the prefs set to copy tags to spotlight comments.
If I look at the actual file in the EF library with “get info”, I see the tags.
However, if I click on the record in the EF browser window and drag
it to my desktop, and look at “get info”, I do NOT see the tags. Why?

Also, in this post it mentions you need to hold the Option key as you
drag and drop. I do not see a difference whether I do or not. Why?

Thanks,
Don

Then it’s working.

Dragging a file from EagleFiler to the Finder creates a copy. At present, the file copying method that EagleFiler uses for exports does not preserve Spotlight comments. This will be addressed in the next release.

It depends on which application you drag to. Sometimes dragging creates a link. Holding Option forces it to copy instead.

With EagleFiler 1.4, if you’re running Mac OS X 10.5 or later, exporting will copy the tags to the Spotlight comments (if that preference is checked).