Library window needing reactivation when Info panel is active / problems with tags

Hello Michael and forum members,

First thing: many thanks and congratulations on version 1.3. The steady pace of the improvements you put in EF and the quality of the support comfort me in the choice I made of using EF instead of the competition ;).

I have a bunch of comments / suggestions. I searched the forums quickly, and it seems those issues have not been raised elsewhere. The first one is my only real bugger with EF, and it’s kinda small. All the other ones are about tags.

1. Upon entering something in the info panel, it becomes “active” and the library window needs reactivation to catch clicks and drags. That is, after having tagged a record, I cannot just file it by dragging, I need to click once inside the library window. Could it be made to “get front clicks”, i.e. to register clicks and drags even when the info panel is active ? Alternatively, I would not run that much into this issue if there was a popup button for filing records on the Info panel (and it would require much less mousing to file items too).

2. Tags beginning with accented characters are not sorted properly. E. g. I have a tag named “éducation” which appears at the end of the list.

3. When an entry has too many tags, the tags get “wrapped” off the list. Maybe adding a small space character between each tag would help.

4. Could the new (1.3) Untagged smart list be made aware that “unread” is an automatic tag – I mean, could there be an option to have it also show items only tagged with unread ?

5. When you delete a tag from the source list, it scrolls back up. As I once or twice had to delete a bunch of empty tags (those crept in when I pasted some text in the tags field instead of the comments field), this behavior made it irksome.

That’s it. Do what you can / want with those suggestions, and keep up the good work…

lj

Thanks for the suggestions.

I’ll see what I can do. In the meantime, you may prefer to use the tags bar for tagging, since it’s in the same window.

I’m not sure what you mean about adding a space character. If there isn’t enough space, I don’t see any way around wrapping.

you may prefer to use the tags bar for tagging, since it’s in the same window

By “filing”, I actually meant putting a record into a folder, which cannot be done through the Info window.

I’m not sure what you mean about adding a space character. If there isn’t enough space, I don’t see any way around wrapping.

Oh, nerver mind. It seems to be fixed now (before, if I remember correctly, when the tags column overflow, everything went, not only the last few characters).

Thanks, lj

Right. What I’m saying is that if you’re going to the Info window to edit the tags, you could avoid the problem by editing the tags elsewhere. In any case, I’ll fix the underlying drag problem in 1.3.1.

My mistake. I didn’t realize the tag bar was editable. My goodness !

These issues are addressed in EagleFiler 1.3.1.

That was fast.

With EagleFiler 1.4 you can create your own smart folder that behaves this way.