Folder names, '-1' appended

Not at all urgent: Why does the ‘-1’ sometimes appear appended to folder names in the EF resource list (under Records) when they are renamed?

For example, I have a folder, ‘Softwear’ [sic].

When I highlight it and rename to ‘Software’, ‘Software -1’ appears instead.

Usually I can eventually remove the ‘-1’. But sometimes it takes two or three goes.

Is it because the indexing has not caught up at the moment of renaming and plays safe?

If you try to rename a file to a name that’s already in use, EagleFiler adds “-1” (or “-2”, etc.) in order to make the new name unique.

Presumably that happened because you already had a file or folder named “Software” (or “software” since the Mac filesystem is case-insensitive by default).

It has nothing to do with indexing.

Michael,

Thanks!

In use in the same parent or elsewhere in the whole database?

If the latter, does it matter that I always eventually manage to rename it to something that’s presumably a duplicate?

Just the same parent—same as renaming files in the Finder.

Thanks, Michael.

I feel sure I have had this happen where there isn’t a same name within the same parent. But I haven’t kept any examples. If it happens again, I’ll look more closely :slight_smile:

Currently there is a bug where if you rename the file to a new name that differs only in case, it will add -1 even though it isn’t necessary. That will be addressed in the next release.

I bet that’s what it was…

Small price to pay for such an excellent piece of software: I’m loving it!

This bug is fixed in EagleFiler 1.3.