Error while verifying a burned Ubuntu CD

Hi! Sorry if this is slightly off-topic but then again it may not be … :wink: When I burn a current Unbutu ISO image (7.10, i386) with DropDMG, I always get the error message Error

“Verification of the burn failed.” burning “ubuntu-7.10-desktop-i386.iso”

in the end.

This also happens with Disk Utility.

It does not, however, happen with Disco. (I didn’t bother to try Dragon Burn and I don’t own Toast.)

I’ve checked the MD5 hash on the image and it comes out all right. I’ve also let the resulting boot CD’s built-in self test run on a PC and it, too, reports that the CD has been burned properly.

So I’m just curious: Why do DropDMG and Disk Utility fail on the verification?

Thanks!

Chris

As far as I know, Disco uses the same disc burning framework as DropDMG and Disk Utility, so I wonder whether it simply isn’t reporting the error.

Do you mean that you verified that your .iso file has the proper hash? Or that you computed a hash of the burned CD (how?)?

I don’t know. Which version of Mac OS X are you using? Are you burning using an Apple-supplied optical drive? Is the .iso file available online so that I might try burning it on my Mac? Also, if you want I could send you a build of DropDMG that has more detailed error reporting.

I don’t know, of course. But the CDs that come out either way seem to be ok. I’ve actually re-downloaded the ISO image twice to be sure. From different servers.

Do you mean that you verified that your .iso file has the proper hash? Or that you computed a hash of the burned CD (how?)?

The former, yes, the latter, too, to the extend it’s possible via “built-in” means. The Ubuntu live CD’s boot menu offers an option to verify the integrity of the CD or rather the CD’s contents. AFAIK it’s a script that checks the hashes on the files on the CD.

I don’t know. Which version of Mac OS X are you using? Are you burning using an Apple-supplied optical drive? Is the .iso file available online so that I might try burning it on my Mac? Also, if you want I could send you a build of DropDMG that has more detailed error reporting.

I’m still on 10.4 (up-to-date) on an old 12" PowerBook G4 (867 Mhz) with the original DVD/CD-RW combo drive.

The Ubuntu ISOs are available via ubuntu.com.

If you like to investigate further, I’d take the “reporting build”. But I don’t want to make a big thing out of it. I was just curious …

For what it’s worth, I burned this file to CD using 10.4.11:

MD5 (ubuntu-7.10-desktop-i386.iso) = d2334dbba7313e9abc8c7c072d2af09c
DropDMG did not report an error, and it seemed to come out OK.

No luck here. I re-downloaded the image and checked the hash. I used the special build of DropDMG you supplied to me, but it doesn’t really report more than:

Error “Verification of the burn failed.” burning “ubuntu-7.10-desktop-i386.iso”

Anything else to try? I really don’t need another Ubuntu CD … %-)

(Actually I burned two but the location of the image, the “local” HD or an external FireWire HD, made no difference.)

Are you sure that you checked the log in the Console application?

No, I thought you meant DropDMG’s console …

Here’s—as far as I can tell—the relevant console.log output:

2007-12-28 20:17:46.420 DropDMG[23822] Failed for /Volumes/Externe Festplatte/ubuntu-7.10-desktop-i386.iso error {
DRErrorStatusErrorKey = -2147352477;
DRErrorStatusErrorStringKey = “Verification of the burn failed.”;
}
2007-12-28 20:39:16.286 DropDMG[23842] Failed for /Users/cb/Desktop/ubuntu-7.10-desktop-i386.iso error {
DRErrorStatusErrorKey = -2147352477;
DRErrorStatusErrorStringKey = “Verification of the burn failed.”;
}

And here the output from DiscRecording.log:

DropDMG: Burn started, Fri Dec 28 20:06:56 2007
DropDMG: Burning to CD-R media with SAO strategy in MATSHITA CD-RW CW-8122 BA21 via ATAPI.
DropDMG: Requested burn speed was max, actual burn speed is 24x.
DropDMG: Burn underrun protection is supported, and enabled.
DropDMG: Burn finished, Fri Dec 28 20:13:03 2007
DropDMG: Verify started, Fri Dec 28 20:13:03 2007
DropDMG: Verify failed, Fri Dec 28 20:17:41 2007
DropDMG: Burn started, Fri Dec 28 20:28:23 2007
DropDMG: Burning to CD-R media with SAO strategy in MATSHITA CD-RW CW-8122 BA21 via ATAPI.
DropDMG: Requested burn speed was max, actual burn speed is 24x.
DropDMG: Burn underrun protection is supported, and enabled.
DropDMG: Burn finished, Fri Dec 28 20:34:32 2007
DropDMG: Verify started, Fri Dec 28 20:34:32 2007
DropDMG: Verify failed, Fri Dec 28 20:39:11 2007

As far as I can tell, Apple does not document what that error code means. It seems that some other people are running into it, though.

For the sake of scientific inquiry I just downloaded and burned an OpenSUSE live CD (Gnome version)—and it verified fine. So there probably has to be some peculiarity about this particular Ubuntu image that the OS X (Tiger) burn framework under certain conditions doesn’t like. Strange, but oh well … %-)