Check against Modifying text type files

Hello,

Eaglefiler is a fine program. I am evaluating it and it might be just what I need.

I notice that my .dss files (Olympus sound files) appear to Eaglefiler as text files. So do my .moho/.anme (Moho/Anime Studio Pro) files. What concerns me is that if I accidentally change this “text” file, that it is ruined. And that Eaglefiler has no “Are you sure you want to save these changes?” dialogue box upon quitting. And so I would not even know that I had made a change. Any suggestions. This concerns me for normal text files as well.

Also, what I am trying to do is to organize all of these files as well as text, sound, and other files. For instance, I want to be able to look at all the .dss files I have. I have them all over the place and all mixed up in diferent folders. It seems that the best way would be to sort them before I import them and then create a library for each type of file. Is there a better way than this?

Thank you,

John

There’s no 100% accurate way to know whether a file is text, so EagleFiler uses some heuristics. In this case it looks like it’s guessing wrong; I’ll see if I can make a future version treat these files as non-text.

You could uncheck Allow Editing in Record Viewer, so that EagleFiler prevents you from modifying the files directly. You can still double-click files to edit them with TextEdit (or another editor), and then you’ll get the normal “Are you sure you want to save?” messages.

It’s not clear to me why you want to separate the different types of files. That’s certainly a valid organizational strategy, but EagleFiler was designed with the idea that a single library could contain many types of files.

You could uncheck Allow Editing in Record Viewer,

Great. thanks

It’s not clear to me why you want to separate the different types of files. That’s certainly a valid organizational strategy, but EagleFiler was designed with the idea that a single library could contain many types of files.

When I learn a program, I often just play in it, but I never annotate the learning and so I end up with a lot of little files. I want to be able to go over those files. I would put them all in the same library if I could easily sort them and then put them all in their own folder within EagleFiler.

Thanks for the help.

That should be possible, but if it’s not working as you’d like please let me know how you’d like it to be different.

This is fixed in EagleFiler 1.2.6.