Where is NetNewsWire?

EagleFiler keeps asking me where NetNewsWire is. It asks me this whenever I start - or just click on - NetNewsWire Lite. I select NetNewsWire Lite from the list of apps it shows and click the Choose button. But this seems not to satisfy it as it asks me again as soon as I click on NetNewsWire Lite. How can I stop it asking me this question? And why is it asking me anyway?

Best regards

Graham Jones

EagleFiler uses AppleScripts to capture from applications, including NetNewsWire. When EagleFiler sees that NetNewsWire is running, it tries to compile the script that it will use to communicate with NetNewsWire. Unfortunately, NetNewsWire Lite declares itself using the same application identifier as the full NetNewsWire, even though Lite is not scriptable. So EagleFiler thinks the full NetNewsWire is running and asks the OS to compile the script. The OS can’t find NetNewsWire, so it asks you to locate it. Sometimes, AppleScript will even crash when trying to load the script if it can’t find the full NetNewsWire.

An upcoming version of EagleFiler will work around these problems. For now, one workaround is to not run NetNewsWire Lite at the same time as EagleFiler. Another is to delete the file: EagleFiler.app/Contents/Resources/Capture Scripts/com.ranchero.NetNewsWire.applescript if you are using Lite.

Many thanks for that speedy and informative response. I shall not run NetNewsWire Lite and EagleFiler at the same time so as to avoid the problem.

Best regards

Graham Jones

EagleFiler 1.1 works properly with NetNewsWire Lite. That is it say, it’s not able to capture from it (because NNW Lite isn’t AppleScriptable), but running the two applications together won’t cause any problems.