Previewing more of pdf pages

Hi,

I was looking for something just like this. A place to collate all my stuff.
I was deciding between Devonthink, keep It, eagleFiler, and for me eaglefiler have the right amount clarity and ease of use.

But I have a question, I have many adobe illustrator files and I think they preview in pdf. But eagleFiler will only show the 1st page, I was wondering if its possible to show all the pages. I think illustrator files preview in pdf.

Everything looks great, but if I have a feature request, it will be to able to import aliases and preview them. That will be so cool. It helps with glancing at the files and seeing the comments that I wrote for it.

As far as I know, Illustrator files are not in PDF format. Could you tell me what you’re basing that on? EagleFiler previews files using Quick Look, so what it shows depends on what the developer of the Quick Look plug-in decided to show. You should see the same preview in EagleFiler as in Apple’s apps.

Could you explain a bit more about what you are trying to do here? Do you want to maintain notes on files that are not part of your EagleFiler library’s folder hierarchy? Would it be more or less useful to be able to import a file into EagleFiler as a link vs. creating an alias file yourself and then importing the alias?

Hi, Michael thanks for replying.

I can quick look illustrator files and all its “artboard” (which is the different pages in a pdf) in mac natively. And Devonthink and keep it can do it too. Its not a major deal breaker for me. The screen shown in eagleFiler is that of the 1st page with a transparent background. To view all the other “artboard” I have to quick look in eagleFinder too see the other pages.

In terms of how I see myself using eagleFinder. I have many folders of illustrator files and I guess code that keep a link to assets like pics and so on. By importing those files to eagleFinder, I need to relink the assets in all of them. So like u said, The only way is to create an alias then importing it in. If eagleFinder can preview the Aliases, I can see a quick visual of what the file contains. But its not a deal breaker.

I find the power of this software is to write quick detailed private notes or “readme/comments” to myself or even other kind of relevant inspiration whilst working on those files. So eagleFiler become like a “central command” like a conductor for the other files. For example, in a folder will be an alias “logo.ai” illustrator file, with maybe “clients_notes.rtf” and “changes_to_make.rtf” and “inspirations.jpg”

Sorry, just to sneak in a possible feature, and thats to be able to move files so I dont have to delete the original. Like if I just want to pull some screenshots into the folder.

Would you be able to e-mail me one of these files so that I can take a look here? Based on what you’ve written, it sounds like the issue is that EagleFiler is not using Quick Look in the main window because it recognizes the file as an image. So it’s using the standard macOS image view instead, but that view only supports one page. So fixing this may simply be a matter of teaching EagleFiler to use Quick Look for that type of file.

How are the links stored? Would it work to move both the Illustrator files and assets into EagleFiler, keeping the existing folder structure?

It sounds like (hypothetically) referencing the files outside the library would work, too. I don’t see that you actually need to create the alias file first.

EagleFiler already has various ways of importing by moving files.

**How are the links stored? Would it work to move both the Illustrator files and assets into EagleFiler, keeping the existing folder structure?

I guess I could. But for now, Im more comfortable having separation of concerns with the workflow Im familiar with. Also, there are some private notes like, “my_view_on_client_notes.rtf” that I rather have remain separated with less dependencies but organised. And to relink all the asset will be alot of busy work.

**It sounds like (hypothetically) referencing the files outside the library would work, too. I don’t see that you actually need to create the alias file first.
What do u mean? Like in an “info panel”

EagleFiler already has various ways of importing by moving files
Cool!

If i may add another question. It seems that if I rename the folder that eagleFiler is in, eagleFiler crashes.

I mean if you could import and select and option or hold down a modifier key to indicate that you want a link rather than a copy, without having to make the alias file yourself.

It’s not recommended to rename the folder containing any Mac app that’s running. That said, if you get a crash, please use the crash reporter and I’ll take a look.

Please try the EagleFiler 1.8.9b1 public beta.

Awesome! works with adobe illustrator files!