Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Converted DMG cannot be opened - DiskImageMounter: legacy image should be converted

  1. #1

    Default Converted DMG cannot be opened - DiskImageMounter: legacy image should be converted

    Hi,

    i have here a DMG which i created with DropDMG yesterday. Now we need to replace the layout due to some last minute changes.
    So i´ve converted the DMG using DropDMG. The new DMG is created, but cannot be mounted. I get the error: .... - legacy image should be converted.

    Any idea what could have gone wrong? Am i missing something?

    Matthias

  2. #2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MatthiasR View Post
    i have here a DMG which i created with DropDMG yesterday. Now we need to replace the layout due to some last minute changes.
    So i´ve converted the DMG using DropDMG. The new DMG is created, but cannot be mounted. I get the error: .... - legacy image should be converted.
    That doesn’t make sense to me because, unless you were using a very old version of macOS to create the .dmg, a disk image should only be considered legacy if it was created more than 10 years ago. Such images need to be converted (to the same format, if you want) in order to update their internal structure. I can look into this more if you want to send in the original disk image file and screenshots showing what you did with it that caused the error.

    However, if your goal is to update the layout, it’s probably better to just copy the files in the old disk image to a folder and create a new disk image from it with the new layout. Converting doesn’t change an existing layout, anyway—it only affects the compression/encryption/license of the disk image wrapper.

  3. #3

    Default

    Thanks for replying.

    The Mac on which i created the original DMG and did the conversion is running Mac OS 14.4.
    I thought doing a conversion is the easiest and fastest way. ;)

    The DMG i wanted to convert with the new layout was signed and contained a notarized app. Is it possible that that caused it?

    But anyway, i will create the DMG from scratch.


    Regards,

    Matthias

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MatthiasR View Post
    The DMG i wanted to convert with the new layout was signed and contained a notarized app. Is it possible that that caused it?
    I don’t think so, as that’s normal for disk images these days. It’s possibly that there was some other fluke occurrence that caused DiskImageMounter to report the wrong error message.

  5. #5

    Default

    Seems that i have to do the whole notarization process again: Create signed dmg, add app to it and upload dmg for notarization.

    Becaue, when i create a DMG and add the notarized app to it, then i have to notarize the DMG again. At least i cannot staple the previous ID to the new DMG.

    But maybe i am missing something about the whole notarizing process.

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MatthiasR View Post
    Seems that i have to do the whole notarization process again: Create signed dmg, add app to it and upload dmg for notarization.

    Becaue, when i create a DMG and add the notarized app to it, then i have to notarize the DMG again. At least i cannot staple the previous ID to the new DMG.
    That sounds correct. I think you can either notarize the app itself (with Xcode) before making the .dmg or notarize the .dmg and staple it (without changing the .dmg).

Similar Threads

  1. Signing DMG
    By publiczne in forum DropDMG
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-08-2017, 08:57 AM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-28-2016, 08:43 PM
  3. Cannot Create a DMG-- PLEASE HELP!
    By Joseph in forum DropDMG
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-03-2013, 05:29 PM
  4. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-02-2009, 06:38 AM
  5. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-30-2009, 01:02 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •