Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Exclude specific files when creating disk image (e.g. .DS_Store)

  1. #1

    Default Exclude specific files when creating disk image (e.g. .DS_Store)

    So I'm creating a bunch of dmgs from folders and I would love to see a feature implemented that excludes files matching either a specific or semi-specific name, for example:

    Code:
    // Blacklist
    .DS_Store
    *.png
    sushi trip *.mov
    Foo, Part ? of ???.*
    My main issue is with .DS_Store. I keep having to sanitize (
    Code:
    find /folder/to/be/imaged -name ".DS_Store" -type f -print -delete
    ) my folders before dropping them into DropDMG. I just don't want those buggers in my dmgs. Name:  Icon_razz.gif
Views: 25
Size:  645 Bytes

  2. #2

    Default

    What would also be handy would be to have the choice to specify where you want the blacklist rules to apply. For example, only apply blacklist in `dmg_root/Documents/Adobe/`, or, apply blacklist everywhere except `/dmg_root/Backups/T-Shirts/`.

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by beavisandbutthead1992 View Post
    So I'm creating a bunch of dmgs from folders and I would love to see a feature implemented that excludes files matching either a specific or semi-specific name, for example:
    I understand about not liking .DS_Store files, but could you explain what you’re trying to do in the other cases? What is the context for wanting to image a folder except for its .png files? Are you making repeated backups of the same folders?

  4. #4

    Default

    Well, in my case, I only need it for keeping .DS_Store out of the way. I thought if there was a blacklist, things like keeping appledouble files out (by using something like ^._*) would work too. I just gave .png and files like that as examples, in case someone would need them blacklisted for some reason.

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by beavisandbutthead1992 View Post
    Well, in my case, I only need it for keeping .DS_Store out of the way. I thought if there was a blacklist, things like keeping appledouble files out (by using something like ^._*) would work too. I just gave .png and files like that as examples, in case someone would need them blacklisted for some reason.
    Do you want to keep the .DS_Store files in your source folder, or do you only want to get rid of them on the .dmg itself?

    Rather than a blacklist, would it be more useful to be able to have DropDMG run a script before creating the disk image, and then you could run your “find” command there?

  6. #6

    Default

    Yeah, I guess that could work. The only thing is I'd keep having to change the path in my script. But hey, that's better than manually doing it.

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by beavisandbutthead1992 View Post
    Yeah, I guess that could work. The only thing is I'd keep having to change the path in my script. But hey, that's better than manually doing it.
    DropDMG would pass the path into the script.

Similar Threads

  1. Creating a macOS 10.14 Mojave Install Disk
    By Michael Tsai in forum DropDMG
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-25-2018, 03:01 PM
  2. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-04-2017, 02:03 PM
  3. disk image size issue
    By jgcalifornia in forum DropDMG
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 09-13-2010, 05:31 PM
  4. Damaged Disk Image
    By tomn68 in forum DropDMG
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-18-2008, 09:43 AM
  5. Copying application from disk image
    By Unregistered in forum DropDMG
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-21-2006, 10:23 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •