Issue with some mbox files not opening or showing emails

As you can see from the image I have selected the GiftCard.mbox file and yet no emails appear in the list. I know there are emails in there because I also have this open in MacMail. This is not occuring with all imports just some of them. Inspecting the folder shows 2.6MB of data as well.

I’m curious if anyone else has experienced this and how can I correct it.

Thanks,

Screen Shot 2019-02-01 at 3.38.19 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2019-02-01 at 3.38.19 PM.jpg

When did you import the mailbox into EagleFiler?

Is View > Show > Deleted Messages checked? If not, EagleFiler will not show messages that are marked as deleted.

Do you have anything else selected besides the mailbox? For example, if a tag is selected, EagleFiler will only show the messages in that mailbox with that tag.

I haven’t tagged anything so that’s off the table. These messages we not deleted in either EagleFlier or MacMail. I imported them all during the trial phase. Though I’m not having much luck with them now that I’ve paid either.

I’ve just discovered even more today, which is irritating since i need to see these emails.

I was able to export the mailbox file (which does not open again in MacMail) then open it in MailStewardLite, then export the mailbox from there and then open that in MacMail then export the individual emails into EagleFlier.

They don’t look all that great. Example attached.

Please make a new, empty library and drag-and-drop that mailbox into it. Are you then able to see the messages? If not, please create a ZIP archive of the test library and send it to me.

What happened when you tried to import it into Apple Mail? Did Mail recognize it as a mailbox? Did it report an error?

It’s not necessary to export a mailbox file from EagleFiler because the mailbox is already in mbox format.

I think it makes sense to focus on the original mailbox. If importing/converting it through other apps messes it up, that’s outside of EagleFiler’s control.

I did as asked and it’s not working. I’ve grabbed another example .mbox and updloaded it to Google Drive as it’s 84MB.

Download the zip file here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Ha_U3N4UFGPa6bWz8QcX6s61gW-SzAEt

Right, I dragged the mailbox to the desktop is what I meant. I’ve attached a screenshot of what Apple MacMail is telling me when trying to import the file. And yes, I understand that is out of your control going through another program but this is the only way I’ve been able to import the emails. I’m simply telling you a process that works in hopes that will shed some light on the matter from your perspective.

Thanks. Looking at the file contents, this does not look like it was initially generated by EagleFiler. And Apple Mail is correct that it’s not a valid mailbox file. EagleFiler does not even import it as a mailbox file, so this seems like a very different case than what’s shown in your initial screenshot.

This is just a different example of many that didn’t come through correctly. I initially exported .mbox files from MacMail then imported them into EagleFiler in large batches. It’s the same situation as the initial screenshot shows. Not sure why you think this is different, I might be missing something though.

Could you explain what you mean by “exported”? Are you referring to the Mailbox > Export Mailbox command in Mail? That method is not recommended, as it does not product correct mbox files. However, I would not expect it to produce the results that you are reporting here.

Were the messages originally received and downloaded by Apple Mail? Or did you first import them into Mail from another source?

Your initial screenshot shows a file that EagleFiler imported as a mailbox. You can see this because it appears in the source list at the left of the window. The file that you linked to above does not begin with the right characters that a mailbox is supposed to have, and so EagleFiler will import it as a generic file and only show it in the list at the right of the window.