SpamSieve for Outlook 365 Setup for multiple POP3 Accounts.

Dear Users, please advise if i have setup this software correctly. I am using multiple POP3 Accounts for 3 different domains in my outlook 365 for mac.

I have followed the basic instructions i.e installing scripts etc. on 2nd step , I created the folder “On my computer”-“inbox”-“inboxspamsieve” and in rules settings, I have set like as below:-

First I created the main rule as per help instructions, this rule is as below:-
Rule Name = inboxSpamSieve(inbox)
When a new message arrives:
Folder is inbox(on my computer)
Do the following
Move Message = inboxSpamSieve(on my computer)

Second Rule is distribute the domain emails to specific folder names
Rule Name = ABC-inbox
When a new message arrives:
Any To Recipient is Folder is "rob@abc.com"
Any To Recipient is Folder is "sam@abc.com"
Any To Recipient is Folder is "garry@abc.com"
Do the following
Move Message = ABC-inbox (on my computer)

Will this rule work as above ? Will it filter main inbox and then from main inbox, it filter again by distributing emails to specific folder.

What i want is first Spamsieve should check all mails coming in my main inbox folder which is inbox(on my computer) and if mail is junk, send to junk folder and if safe, keep it in main Inbox folder and after that second rules applies which distribute the emails coming from 3 different domain emails i.e. info@abc.com, info@123.com and info@xyz.com to send emails into three different inbox subfolders which are ABC-Inbox, 123-Inbox and XYZ-inbox.

Please advise.

For a POP account, the rule should instead look like the one shown in Step 6d, with “Account Is AccountName”.

That won’t work because the messages need to be in InboxSpamSieve for SpamSieve to filter them. And after it’s done that, it will move them to Inbox.

Is it possible for you to use IMAP instead of POP? Then the messages would automatically end up in separate folders (inboxes) for each account.

Multiple domains under POP
I am running 3 different POP accounts under 3 different domains and am using Outlook for Mac V.16.x.x

The instructions under “Setting up Outlook 365” recommends having one InboxSpamSieve folder under On My Computer

At the moment I have filters that move emails into 3 different folders depending on their domains, example:-

jojo@banana.com -----> Banana Folder

tom@plum.com ------> Plum Folder

zipy@peach.com -----> Peach Folder

How can I setup one InboxSpamSieve folder and after SpamSieve has done its thing, more the mails to their associated folders ?

Is there an alternative way to solve this problem ?

I was hoping that SpamSieve would work in realtime when emails are coming in and before filters are applied to them to sort them out into the right folders.

Unfortunately, there’s no automated means to have Outlook apply its rules later (after the messages have already been received).

One idea I had is that you could set up your rules to move the messages to InboxSpamSieveBanana, InboxSpamSievePlum, etc. And then SpamSieve would scan these folders as well, and move the good messages to Banana, Plum, etc. Would that be useful to you?

This is how SpamSieve worked with previous versions of Outlook (and the way it works with other mail clients), but unfortunately the current version of Outlook removed the ability to do that.

One idea I had is that you could set up your rules to move the messages to InboxSpamSieveBanana, InboxSpamSievePlum, etc. And then SpamSieve would scan these folders as well, and move the good messages to Banana, Plum, etc. Would that be useful to you?

Yes, that would definitely be useful. Could you kindly give me instructions on how to setup the folders in Outlook. Is it that SpamSieve scans all folders that start with the name InboxSpamSieve(xyz), where xyz is the name of the folder (in the same location as the in-boxes) where the good mail will be moved to. The bad mail will be moved to the common spam folder in Outlook. Is that correct ?

This is how SpamSieve worked with previous versions of Outlook (and the way it works with other mail clients), but unfortunately the current version of Outlook removed the ability to do that.

I understand. Out of interest, which mail client do you think is the best after Outlook ? I am on the Apple platform, they have their own mail client which may be quite good, never tried it.

I wanted to ask, if a good email ends up in the spam folder from one of my 3 domains or their associated InboxSmapSieve(domain name) folders, when I teach SpamSieve that it is not spam will that email be returned into the correct final inbox e.g. Banana, Plum or Peach ?

I also have a personal gmail account under POP, so can I do the same for my gmail account ? - So InboxSpamSieve(Gmail) for SpamSieve to check and then all good email will end up in a folder called “Gmail”.

Right, so you would just change your Outlook rules to move the messages to the InboxSpamSieveXYZ folders.

They all have pros and cons. Overall, I think Apple Mail is the best.

It would go to the main inbox. However, you could Apply All the rules to make Outlook sort it again.

Yes, although you could just connect to Gmail via IMAP, and then it would already work this way.

Thank you very much indeed Michael, you’ve been a great help.

Michael,

I have set-up the InboxSpamSieveXYZ folders where XYX is the name of the folder that defines the domain.

I changed the Rules in Outlook to move the mail in the relevant InboxSpamSieveXYZ folders as per your instructions.

SpamSieve is not moving good mail mail to the associated XYZ folders - all in-coming email remain in the respective InboxSpamSieveXYZ folders. Any idea why ?

Just to let you know that even when I go to the InboxSpamSieveBanana folder, click on a good mail and train SpamSieve to treat it as a good email, it does not get moved to the Banana folder.

Is this a misunderstanding on my part ? - I’m under the impression that “InboxSpamSieveXYZ” folders are only there to hold emails temporarily for SpamSieve to process them.

Hi Michael, by the way I have realised something. I have set-up all my InboxSpamSieveFoldersXYZ in the following location:-

On My Computer --> Inbox --> InboxSpamSieveXYZ

Should they be located under “On My Computer” ?

Where should my email folders (XYZ) be located ? - within the “Inbox” folder or under “On My Computer” ?

Sorry for the multiple messages Michael but I just read the manual again and have confirmed that the InboxSpamSieve(XYZ) folders need to be under “On My Computer” - so that has been confirmed.

Where do I put my “XYZ” folders - under “Inbox” ?

The InboxSpamSieveXYZ feature is not implemented yet. In the earlier post, I was asking whether you thought this would be a good approach—you do, so I will work on it. Sorry for not being clear.

Right, you should never train a message in an InboxSpamSieve folder. Wait until it has either moved them to another good folder or to Junk.

It doesn’t matter.

I’ve now added the feature to Outlook - Filter Mailboxes.

Hi Michael, it seems to be working but the problem I have is that once the relevant InboxSpamsieveXYZ folder is checked, instead of moving the good mail to XYZ folder it moves it to the inbox folder - why is that the case ?

In other words I have 3 InboxSpamSieveXYZ folders, good mail should end up in the relevant XYZ folders under Inbox and not in Inbox.

It will use the inbox if it can’t find the XYZ folder. There may be more information about what happened in the Console log if you search for “Outlook Filter Mailboxes”.

Hi Michael, couple of points to note:-

1. I downloaded the new “Outlook - Filter Mailboxes” in its application format and keep it running.

2. No Console log file shows up when I search for “Outlook Filter Mailboxes”.

3. All my folders have been defined under the “Inbox” folder of Outlook.

This is how I have named my folders:-

InboxSpamSievePlum - is this correct or does the name “Plum” have to be in brackets ? e.g InboxSpamSieve(Plum)

My good-mail folders for each domain e.g. “Plum” are also in the same place under Inbox in Outlook.

I have not made any spelling mistakes which would cause a mismatch.

It seems to be working fine, all I need to do is resolve the folder mismatch issue.

Please make sure that you launch Console and do the search (with your Mac selected at the left under Devices) first, so that it’s already ready be before the error message would be logged.

And this is under “On My Computer”?

No brackets.