Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Importing From Evernote to EagleFiler

  1. #1

    Default Importing From Evernote to EagleFiler

    This article in TidBITS explains how to move from Evernote to Apple Notes, so I thought it would be a good idea to document how to move from Evernote to EagleFiler:

    • The easiest way is to select the notes in Evernote and then (while EagleFiler is running in the background), press EagleFiler’s capture key. This will import each note into the current EagleFiler library as an HTML file. Any files attached to the note will be saved in a folder next to the HTML file, as separate EagleFiler records.
    • You can also use Evernote’s “File ‣ Export Notes…” command, although I don’t recommend this because it seems to fail if the note’s title is too long or if it uses certain characters.

    EagleFiler’s capture key imports from Evernote using the HTML file format because that preserves all possible data from Evernote. However, HTML files are not directly editable. If you want to edit your imported notes in EagleFiler, you can use the Convert for Editing command (requires EagleFiler 1.8.5b1 for use with HTML files). I’m also working on an importer that avoids the HTML and image files entirely.

    EagleFiler is safe for long-term storage because it stores your files in regular folders using standard formats. Your data (and any metadata that you add) is all stored on your Mac and is fully accessible even without using the EagleFiler app.

    Update (2018-12-06): EagleFiler now has an improved Evernote importer that creates editable rich text (RTFD) files instead of HTML files. You can also import previously exported .enex files from a command in the File menu.

  2. #2

    Default

    More newbie comments. I am likely doing stuff wrong, and invite any feedback!

    I followed these instructions, and since I'm not running EF beta, I saved as html. Problems:

    1. I wound up with a jillion separate oddly-named graphics files, per your warning. And they sort oddly in "Recently Added" because of EF's (understandable and preferable) habit of preserving all source files' modification dates, which will be widely different from the current mod date of a newly imported note.

    2. The bottom/right pane of the EF window parses the HTML nicely, so that's useful. But it's still not a completely comfortable way to browse/read (e.g. full screen would be nice, plus see #4, I need to access on mobile). I'm trying to figure out how to actually make use of this data in a way close to how EV originally intended. In my case, fwiw, these are recipes with photos.

    3. I can double click a record to open in BBEdit and send to browser, but that's clunky too. As you say, HTML is clunky to edit, but I look forward to the next update helping with that.

    4. I can't figure out how to access this stuff on Mobile (per #2....actually using this data).

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmbo View Post
    1. I wound up with a jillion separate oddly-named graphics files, per your warning. And they sort oddly in "Recently Added" because of EF's (understandable and preferable) habit of preserving all source files' modification dates, which will be widely different from the current mod date of a newly imported note.
    Yes, I can see how that would be annoying. Eventually they will fall out of Recently Added as you add/create more files. This problem will be eliminated when the new importer (that only creates one file in EagleFiler per note) is ready.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmbo View Post
    2. The bottom/right pane of the EF window parses the HTML nicely, so that's useful. But it's still not a completely comfortable way to browse/read (e.g. full screen would be nice, plus see #4, I need to access on mobile). I'm trying to figure out how to actually make use of this data in a way close to how EV originally intended. In my case, fwiw, these are recipes with photos.
    You could use Record ‣ Quick Look (or, holding Option) Record ‣ Slide Show to view it full screen.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmbo View Post
    4. I can't figure out how to access this stuff on Mobile (per #2....actually using this data).
    Please see this page.

  4. #4

    Default

    Thanks, awesome help. And I don't mind waiting for the new importer.

    BTW, the capture itself was beautiful. Much more faithful than any previous attempt at exporting from EV (and leagues better than Evernote's own XML export.

  5. #5

    Default

    4. I can't figure out how to access this stuff on Mobile (per #2....actually using this data).
    Please see this page.
    Please see this page.

    I meant very specifically THIS STUFF....i.e. html and graphics files saved to a file directory that I don't want to "work on", but passively/conveniently browse.

    One option would be to convert to PDF, but that would of course make editing even tougher.

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmbo View Post
    I meant very specifically THIS STUFF....i.e. html and graphics files saved to a file directory that I don't want to "work on", but passively/conveniently browse.
    Unfortunately, Dropbox and the Apple Files app don’t load images when displaying a local HTML file, but Readdle Documents does. Or you could use Convert for Editing to make an RTFD file.

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmbo View Post
    And I don't mind waiting for the new importer.
    The new importer is now available for testing.

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Tsai View Post
    Great, thanks, I'll get right on testing this and the other fix!

Similar Threads

  1. Unsuccessful in importing from Evernote
    By pgiltner in forum EagleFiler
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-25-2014, 05:57 PM
  2. Importing from Evernote
    By jennydiski in forum EagleFiler
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 08-02-2013, 04:01 PM
  3. EverNote in EF
    By imlad in forum EagleFiler
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-26-2011, 12:23 PM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-15-2010, 03:40 PM
  5. Timestamp problems - importing Entourage to Eaglefiler
    By Jen Chandler in forum EagleFiler
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-19-2010, 04:57 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •