Thread: Importing From Evernote to EagleFiler

Default Importing From Evernote to EagleFiler

This article in TidBITS explains how to move from Evernote to Apple Notes, so I thought it would be a good idea to document how to move from Evernote to EagleFiler:

• The easiest way is to select the notes in Evernote and then (while EagleFiler is running in the background), press EagleFiler’s capture key. This will import each note into the current EagleFiler library as an HTML file. Any files attached to the note will be saved in a folder next to the HTML file, as separate EagleFiler records.
    • You can also use Evernote’s “File ‣ Export Notes…” command, although I don’t recommend this because it seems to fail if the note’s title is too long or if it uses certain characters.

EagleFiler’s capture key imports from Evernote using the HTML file format because that preserves all possible data from Evernote. However, HTML files are not directly editable. If you want to edit your imported notes in EagleFiler, you can use the Convert for Editing command (requires EagleFiler 1.8.5b1 for use with HTML files). I’m also working on an importer that avoids the HTML and image files entirely.

EagleFiler is safe for long-term storage because it stores your files in regular folders using standard formats. Your data (and any metadata that you add) is all stored on your Mac and is fully accessible even without using the EagleFiler app.

Update (2018-12-06): EagleFiler now has an improved Evernote importer that creates editable rich text (RTFD) files instead of HTML files. You can also import previously exported .enex files from a command in the File menu.

More newbie comments. I am likely doing stuff wrong, and invite any feedback!

I followed these instructions, and since I'm not running EF beta, I saved as html. Problems:

1. I wound up with a jillion separate oddly-named graphics files, per your warning. And they sort oddly in "Recently Added" because of EF's (understandable and preferable) habit of preserving all source files' modification dates, which will be widely different from the current mod date of a newly imported note.

2. The bottom/right pane of the EF window parses the HTML nicely, so that's useful. But it's still not a completely comfortable way to browse/read (e.g. full screen would be nice, plus see #4, I need to access on mobile). I'm trying to figure out how to actually make use of this data in a way close to how EV originally intended. In my case, fwiw, these are recipes with photos.

3. I can double click a record to open in BBEdit and send to browser, but that's clunky too. As you say, HTML is clunky to edit, but I look forward to the next update helping with that.

4. I can't figure out how to access this stuff on Mobile (per #2....actually using this data).

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmbo View Post
    1. I wound up with a jillion separate oddly-named graphics files, per your warning. And they sort oddly in "Recently Added" because of EF's (understandable and preferable) habit of preserving all source files' modification dates, which will be widely different from the current mod date of a newly imported note.
    Yes, I can see how that would be annoying. Eventually they will fall out of Recently Added as you add/create more files. This problem will be eliminated when the new importer (that only creates one file in EagleFiler per note) is ready.

2. The bottom/right pane of the EF window parses the HTML nicely, so that's useful. But it's still not a completely comfortable way to browse/read (e.g. full screen would be nice, plus see #4, I need to access on mobile). I'm trying to figure out how to actually make use of this data in a way close to how EV originally intended. In my case, fwiw, these are recipes with photos.
    You could use Record ‣ Quick Look (or, holding Option) Record ‣ Slide Show to view it full screen.

4. I can't figure out how to access this stuff on Mobile (per #2....actually using this data).
    Please see this page.

Thanks, awesome help. And I don't mind waiting for the new importer.

BTW, the capture itself was beautiful. Much more faithful than any previous attempt at exporting from EV (and leagues better than Evernote's own XML export.

Please see this page.
    Please see this page.

I meant very specifically THIS STUFF....i.e. html and graphics files saved to a file directory that I don't want to "work on", but passively/conveniently browse.

One option would be to convert to PDF, but that would of course make editing even tougher.

I meant very specifically THIS STUFF....i.e. html and graphics files saved to a file directory that I don't want to "work on", but passively/conveniently browse.
    Unfortunately, Dropbox and the Apple Files app don’t load images when displaying a local HTML file, but Readdle Documents does. Or you could use Convert for Editing to make an RTFD file.

And I don't mind waiting for the new importer.
    The new importer is now available for testing.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Tsai View Post
    Great, thanks, I'll get right on testing this and the other fix!