Problems with SpamSieve Public Beta and macOS 10.14

Hey Michael,

thanks for being on your toes, great to see you already got a beta handy for 10.14.

Unfortunately, I can’t get it to work. Being the dork that I am, I forgot to update Spamsieve before installing 10.14. Now I tried everything the support pages offer, but I can’t get it to work.

I reinstalled Spamsieve, did the upgrade to the latest beta and added Spamsieve as prompted to the privacy settings. Everything seemed ok, but I still can’t see the Spamsieve commands in Apple Mail.

There is no way to click on “Install Apple Mail Plug-in” from the Spamsieve menu to set it up, because the menu won’t show when I try to open Spamsieve. Nothing happens, at least nothing I could see.

Trying to get the plugin unstuck in the terminal doesn’t work either, because /usr/libexec/PlistBuddy com.apple.mail.plist -c ‘Add EnableBundles bool YES’ simply returns “error reading file”, even though the file is right there and I have all the necessary permissions according to the “Get Info” screen.

So basically I’m at a loss. Would be great if you could help me out in any way, shape or form.

Thanks in advance!

I don’t understand; are you saying that initially you could see the SpamSieve menus, but now you double-click the SpamSieve icon and are still in Finder? Does it show as running in the Dock?

Exactly. When I double-click the SpamSieve icon in the finder, nothing happens. I’m still in the finder. It won’t show in the dock, either. According to Activity Monitor, SpamSieve, Helper and Launch Agent are running, though.

Perhaps you had previously hidden the Dock icon? You could try showing it and then quit it using Activity Monitor.

Lo and behold, so I had. Of course I didn’t remember doing since the installation happened a while ago. :stuck_out_tongue:

Unhiding the dock icon allowed me to install and activate the plug-in.

Thanks a lot for your help Michael!