Blue versus Gray; Why Does SS Mark Declared SPAM as Gray, not Blue?

So, I’m being forced into recreating remote training and color-move rules per account for 11 mail accounts due to a Sierra upgrade bug.

It has me wondering, though: when I declare a message as SPAM (Mark Message as Spam), it colors the message Gray; indeed, most of the junk I get is colored Gray, and much of it mail that I have declared as such.

So if Gray is confirmed as the worst and I want it blacklisted, why is Blue considered a higher (worse) score?

Thus, if I follow the instructions to move spammy mail directly to Trash, why does the example indicate to move just Blue to Trash, but allow Gray and lower to continue to ‘Spam’?

I get that I can choose to move both Blue and Gray to Trash; again, I don’t understand why my deliberate declaration is being scored lower.

Incoming messages are only colored Blue if that exact message was trained as spam (score 100) or if it matches the blocklist (score 99). Gray is the most spammy non-blocklist color.

Yes, perhaps it would make sense for the messages that you train as spam to be colored Blue. The reason they are colored Gray is that historically SpamSieve only supported a single level of spam, and the color chosen for that was Gray. However, this is only talking about the display within Apple Mail. Internal to SpamSieve, messages that you train as spam are considered maximally spammy (score of 100). And the training color also does not affect the rules that you make.

The example is about moving blocklisted messages (e.g. ones from names/addresses that have previously been trained as spam) to the trash, and gray messages did not match the blocklist.