Apple Mail contextual menu

Hello

I’ve happily used Spamsieve (and recommended) for years - excellent program.

Although I found some old threads (from 2011) that mention that having the Spamsieve training options in the contextual menu for individual messages was in the works I’ve never found that option available in Apple Mail. Should it be there as standard, or is there a customisation setting I can/should use to enable it?

Thanks very much.

That feature is not implemented yet.

OK. It’s certainly not a deal breaker for me, but it would be very convenient to right-click and send the offending message straight off to the Spam folder without having to positively select it first. Is there an OS reason why it’s difficult to implement? I know Apple can make life difficult with some of this sort of thing.

It’s definitely a feature I want to add, but it hasn’t been a priority compared with other stuff I’ve been working on, since I know that implementing it correctly is non-trivial. Yes, there is a significant issue in that SpamSieve communicates with Mail in terms of which messages are selected, but the contextual menu can be used on a message that is not selected (indeed, when different messages are selected).

Boy… would sure love to see this implemented. Going from Airmail back to OSX, you notice this immediately.

Just hitting this to get it refreshed, any update? Some threads go back to 2011, I guess its really not a priority… please!

I know it seems like a simple thing, but it’s not. It would require deeper surgery/hacking into Mail’s internals than anything else that SpamSieve does, with attendant risk of causing problems, plus ongoing maintenance as Mail changes. I’ve been working on other features and internals stuff (which hasn’t shipped yet) that I think will be more impactful for most users. Longer term, Apple has announced that Mail plug-ins will no longer be supported, so modifying the contextual menu (in the manner described above) will not be possible, anyway. My focus is on getting SpamSieve working with Apple’s replacement for plug-ins, which is called extensions. I’ve suggested to them that they provide a way for extensions to add contextual menu commands, as I think this would be the most reliable way to support this type of feature.

In the meantime, I would be interested to hear what you prefer about using the contextual menu vs. the regular menu or keyboard shortcuts. Perhaps your needs can be addressed in another way. Also, if you really want to train via the contextual menu, this is possible if you set up the special remote training mailboxes. Then you could use the existing contextual menu commands to move messages to TrainSpam or TrainGood.