SpamSieve off / still filtering

(Hard to think of a decent subject for this one). Hope it’s ok to post this here …

I’m away from home for a few weeks. Using my macbook air, while iMac sits at home running SpamSieve. Was accessing home computer remotely until a few days ago. Something’s presumably crashed at home, so home computer has gone offline - and therefore no SpamSieve filtering happening. (Such is life …). Email account is with google, and I have the known workaround setting to prevent my gmail from filtering out the spam. I use Mail.app on both macs, with Mail’s junk filter disabled.

Now - using my MBA for email, I’d expect all my spam to land in my inbox. What’s actually happening is that approximately two-thirds of it is doing that; the other third is finding it’s way into the junk box. Can anyone explain how some (not all) spam messages can be landing in ‘junk’ when I presently have neither SS nor Mail’s junk filter running, and gmail isn’t filtering out spam either? Just weird (it seems to me) …

Are you able to see (e.g. by clicking the disclosure triangle) which Junk mailbox the messages are going to? Is it the one on the Gmail server?

Do you have any rules in Mail that move messages to that mailbox?

Yes.

Do you have any rules in Mail that move messages to that mailbox?

No.

Unless there’s an unmentioned device involved, it seems like it would have to be Gmail doing this. One thing you could do, when you get access to the SpamSieve Mac, is to make a new mailbox called SpamSieveSpam and change the SpamSieve rule to use that mailbox. Then you can be sure that the messages in Spam are not because of SpamSieve.

Hmm. I guess that does have to be it. The mysteries of gmail I suppose …

Ok, thanks for taking the time.

Is it possible that the messages don’t have a “@” in their From address, so that they don’t match the Gmail filter?

Is it causing you any problems that the spam is already caught? Or are you mostly looking to solve the mystery?

I’ve checked that with a sample of 3 or 4 of them. They all had the “@”

Is it causing you any problems that the spam is already caught? Or are you mostly looking to solve the mystery?

Mainly just the mystery really. (In fact if anything it’s a help; it least there are some spam messages I don’t need to manually move.)