SpamSieve slow to load ~90 sec

I have an issue with SpamSieve taking about 90 seconds to start.

During startup, Activity Monitor shows SpamSieve (Not Responding) with 99% CPU usage.

SpamSieve 2.9.23 (2923080)
Mac OS X 10.10.5
Mac Mini 2.66 Ghz Core 2 Duo
8 GB Ram
Solid state HDD 91 GB free

SamSieve log does not show anything I identify as an error. The log file is 4.5 MB since being rotated Jan-22-2016
/Users/glen/Library/Logs/SpamSieve/SpamSieve Log.log
After a clean start without Mail running, SamSieve Log.log shows:

Launched: 2.9.23 (2923080) on Mac OS X 10.10.5
Date: 2016-02-05 12:43:00 -0800 (PST)

— End of log

SpamSieve folder /Users/glen/Library/Application Support/SpamSieve contains the following:
Folder: App Store Receipts (empty)
Folder: False Negatives (empty)
Folder: Messages (empty)
Package: Corpus.corpus (14 MB)
File: History.db (42.9 MB)
File: Rules (7.2 MB)

Initially I had spam arriving/remaining in my inbox because Apple Mail began down loading messages before SpamSieve was operational. When I highlighted the new messages and pressed Command-Option-L to apply rules, the spam message were removed.

This problem began some time around November 2015, possibly after an update to SpamSieve.

In troubleshooting the problem, I have:

1. Checked Mail Rules, there is only one rule, Named SpamSieve
  2. Cleared “Automatically detect and save account settings” in Mail preferences for all accounts
  3. Performed a rebuild of Mail’s Database as described here http://c-command.com/spamsieve/help/how-can-i-rebuild-apple

The above had no effect on the problem.

Recently I have worked around the problem by starting SpamSieve before Mail and allowing SpamSieve to ‘settle’ (icon stops bouncing in Dock) before starting mail. This handles the original problem, but it’s annoying that SpamSieve takes a minute and a half to start.

Other than the slow start, SpamSieve is working as expected and doing a great job.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Please record a sample during launch and then send it in.

Thanks for sending the samples. It looks like you’re running into a performance regression that was caused by a change in Mac OS X 10.11. I think you can work around it by updating to the SpamSieve 2.9.24b2 public beta.

Perfect! Load time reduced to < 2 Sec :slight_smile: