Different El Capitan problem

Hi

Like a few people, SpamSieve is not working properly for me under El Capitan - was perfect under Yosemite.

Basically it is not filtering at all - regular messages it used to identify as spam stay in the inbox, not marked. I can train as spam and the messages will then move as they should (which is different from other users’ experience), it just won’t do it as the messages come in. Training for a few days hasn’t helped - messages trained as spam which repeat are not being later identified as spam.

I have reinstalled the plugin for Mail, but that hasn’t helped.

I have checked that the Spamsieve rule is the only one active and it appears to be correctly configured.

I have checked that Apple’s Junk Mail filtering has not turned itself back on - and it hasn’t.

Everything looks fine, it just isn’t working!

My console log shows the messages in the txt file attachment.

Any ideas gratefully received - thanks in advance for any help.

spamsieve.txt (9.07 KB)

And another thought
A thought for the developers…it would be much easier to do the train as spam thing if there was a right click context menu version of the command available. The training process, requiring you to go to the Message menu, is quite a slow process. I know there’s a keyboard shortcut, but a context menu option as well would be really nice.

The errors about the “server port” mean that Mail can’t send the messages to SpamSieve for analysis. There may be a permissions problem with the folder:

~/Library/Mail/SpamSieve/

Do you get any errors related to this folder when you launch SpamSieve?

That’s on my to-do list.

Hi Michael

Thanks for the quick reply.

If I close and re-open SpamSieve I get

10/10/2015 12:16:53.711 com.apple.xpc.launchd[1]: (com.c-command.SpamSieve.LaunchAgent) Service only ran for 7 seconds. Pushing respawn out by 3 seconds.

Nothing from the SpamSieve application itself? Do you see any files in the folder:

~/Library/Mail/SpamSieve/

after launching SpamSieve?

Yes, when SS launches I get a mail.pid file and a ServerInfo.plist file which contains:

<?xml version=“1.0” encoding=“UTF-8”?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC “-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN” “http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd”>
<plist version=“1.0”>
<dict>
<key>port</key>
<integer>64387</integer>
</dict>
</plist>

Mail.pid seems to just contain the number 1243

The errors in Console which seem to be related to SS launch are:

11/10/2015 09:48:18.061 HyperDock Helper[655]: Couldn’t get pid for item: <HDDockItem title: SpamSieve role: AXDockItem subrole: AXApplicationDockItem url: file:///Applications/SpamSieve.app/!
11/10/2015 09:48:22.525 com.apple.xpc.launchd[1]: (com.apple.xpc.launchd.oneshot.0x1000000d.SpamSieve[435]) Service exited due to signal: Terminated: 15
11/10/2015 09:49:39.061 Mail[1243]: SpamSieve Mail Plug-In: Launching via launch agent failed.

As you can see, I have Hyperdock running - which played nicely with SS under Yosemite. Don’t know whether that’s related to my problem?

Have you tested the rule as described here?

Have you checked for crash log files for SpamSieveLaunchAgent?

I’m not familiar with Hyperdock, but I think it would be worth temporarily uninstalling it to see if that helps.

Hi Michael

I’ve tested the rule and the process works - the spam marked message moved back into the inbox is correctly moved back to Spam by the application of rules.

There’s no crash message related to SpamSieve in the log files folder.

For about two hours yesterday SS worked normally but this morning, after a reboot, it is back to being broken.

I have removed Hyperdock, so will reboot and see what happens.

Hi Michael

So yesterday SS worked ok, so I thought that maybe a clash with Hyperdock was the problem.

Today it’s back to not working, console error

13/10/2015 09:08:48.019 Mail[343]: SpamSieve Mail Plug-In: Error reading server port: <NSError Domain=NSCocoaErrorDomain Code=260 UserInfo={
MJTStackFrames = (
“+[NSDictionary(MJTPropertyListSerialization) mjtReadURL:error:] (122)”,
“+[NSPropertyListSerialization(MJT) mjtPropertyListWithContentsOfURL:options:format:error:] (77)”
);
NSFilePath = “/Users/timpolla/Library/Mail/SpamSieve/ServerInfo.plist”;
NSLocalizedDescription = “The file \U201cServerInfo.plist\U201d couldn\U2019t be opened because there is no such file.”;
NSLocalizedFailureReason = “The file doesn\U2019t exist.”;
NSUnderlyingError = “<NSError Domain=NSPOSIXErrorDomain Code=2 UserInfo={
NSLocalizedDescription = “The operation couldn\U2019t be completed. No such file or directory”;
NSLocalizedFailureReason = “No such file or directory”;
}>”;
}>

When you get this error, please check whether the file:

/Users/timpolla/Library/Mail/SpamSieve/ServerInfo.plist

in fact exists. If not, does quitting and relaunching SpamSieve help or add any errors to the Console?

Michael

Yes its does. it contains:

<?xml version=“1.0” encoding=“UTF-8”?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC “-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN” “http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd”>
<plist version=“1.0”>
<dict>
<key>port</key>
<integer>54546</integer>
</dict>
</plist>

Quitting spam sieve and mail and relaunching generates the console message:

13/10/2015 22:39:28.436 com.apple.xpc.launchd[1]: (com.c-command.SpamSieve.LaunchAgent) Service only ran for 8 seconds. Pushing respawn out by 2 seconds.
13/10/2015 22:39:28.451 Mail[4389]: SpamSieve Mail Plug-In: SpamSieveLaunchAgent is not running. It may be necessary to choose “Install Apple Mail Plug-In” from the SpamSieve menu or to restart your Mac.
13/10/2015 22:39:28.451 Mail[4389]: SpamSieve Mail Plug-In: Launching via launch agent failed.

Although I had previously tried reinstalling the Apple Mail plugin I did so again, got the same error.

Please try clicking this link and then installing the plug-in again.

Thanks for persisting with this Michael.

I get the console message

14/10/2015 06:33:24.011 com.apple.xpc.launchd[1]: (com.c-command.SpamSieve.LaunchAgent) This service is defined to be constantly running and is inherently inefficient.

I presume this is as expected. I’ll let you know how it goes.

Thanks again.

Yes, the esoteric preference makes it run continuously, to hopefully avoid the problem where the system would not re-run it right away because SpamSieve had quit so many times.

Hi Michael

Yesterday SS ran fine all day, today it is back to misbehaving with console messages:

16/10/2015 07:01:02.004 Mail[348]: SpamSieve Mail Plug-In: Error reading server port: <NSError Domain=NSCocoaErrorDomain Code=260 UserInfo={
MJTStackFrames = (
“+[NSDictionary(MJTPropertyListSerialization) mjtReadURL:error:] (122)”,
“+[NSPropertyListSerialization(MJT) mjtPropertyListWithContentsOfURL:options:format:error:] (77)”
);
NSFilePath = “/Users/timpolla/Library/Mail/SpamSieve/ServerInfo.plist”;
NSLocalizedDescription = “The file \U201cServerInfo.plist\U201d couldn\U2019t be opened because there is no such file.”;
NSLocalizedFailureReason = “The file doesn\U2019t exist.”;
NSUnderlyingError = “<NSError Domain=NSPOSIXErrorDomain Code=2 UserInfo={
NSLocalizedDescription = “The operation couldn\U2019t be completed. No such file or directory”;
NSLocalizedFailureReason = “No such file or directory”;
}>”;
}>
16/10/2015 07:06:52.124 com.apple.xpc.launchd[1]: (com.c-command.SpamSieve.LaunchAgent) This service is defined to be constantly running and is inherently inefficient.

ServerInfo.plist does actually appear to exist.

This is very frustrating!

And if I quit and restart I get the same old errors back:

16/10/2015 07:11:24.840 com.apple.xpc.launchd[1]: (com.c-command.SpamSieve.LaunchAgent) Service only ran for 6 seconds. Pushing respawn out by 4 seconds.
16/10/2015 07:11:28.384 Mail[1085]: SpamSieve Mail Plug-In: SpamSieveLaunchAgent is not running. It may be necessary to choose “Install Apple Mail Plug-In” from the SpamSieve menu or to restart your Mac.
16/10/2015 07:11:28.384 Mail[1085]: SpamSieve Mail Plug-In: Launching via launch agent failed.
16/10/2015 07:11:29.346 com.apple.xpc.launchd[1]: (com.c-command.SpamSieve.LaunchAgent) This service is defined to be constantly running and is inherently inefficient.

Just to clarify, the message above involved quitting SpamSieve, closing Mail and letting Mail reopen SS upon launch.

If, on the other hand, I just quit SS and manually reopen it, I just get the ‘inherently inefficient’ message, so I presume that SS is now working.

It looks like there is a bug in the launch agent where, even if it’s set to be constantly running, it will quit itself when Mail or SpamSieve quits. That, combined with the OS deciding to wait before running it again, could mean a long delay before SpamSieve starts to launch. So Mail waits a while, doesn’t see the ServerInfo.plist, and gives up. If you contact me via e-mail I can get you a pre-release version that tries to work around this.

I’m still not sure what the root issue is, though, and what’s different about your Mac compared with seemingly everyone else’s. Do you have any more log info about why the SpamSieve sometimes fails to launch? If the OS reports an error to the launch agent, it will log it. You could try clicking this link to enable some additional launch agent logging. That might provide some clues as to why it’s not working, e.g. if it’s somehow finding the wrong file.

The good news is that if you manually launch SpamSieve it should all work.

This is fixed in SpamSieve 2.9.22.

We have been discussing this via e-mail, and I think the remaining issues have been addressed in SpamSieve 2.9.23.