Outlook 2011 Hanging on Mac OS X 10.11

Could this be why outlook 2011 is hanging all the time as well?

There is probably a different reason. In what circumstances is Outlook hanging? Please record a few samples during the hangs and submit them via e-mail.

There’s a known bug in Outlook 2011 with 10.11. Microsoft released a fix for it yesterday (10/7/2015).

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3098229

It fixed the problem I was having, Outlook 2011 was becoming unresponsive about 30 seconds after it started.

The 14.5.6 update does fix the hang.
But I am still getting script timeout errors, and most junk is duplicated in the spam folder, one tagged with the outlook category Junk, the other not.

Could you post the exact error messages that you’re getting?

The script errors (mostly timeouts) are much less, but now basically every spam message touched by the scripts gets duplicated in the spam folder.
I tried turning off the rules for awhile, no dupes. Turn it back on, dupes.
No dupes using Airmail, but is still lacking some features I want.
So it is specifically an issue with outlook 2011, and possibly the earthlink IMAP.

I suspect it is a script issue because I created a rule and script to move some messages that aren’t really spam and have short time value (i.e., ads that I might actually want to look at, but that will be worthless in a week). I used some of the same scripting techniques as the spam scripts, and have the same result — duplicate ads.

The dupes are not identical, as a standard dupe scan (looking for identical msg IDs) will not identify them. They even will sometimes show a received time a few minutes apart. Outlook shows one of them with the Junk category, and one without.

Could there be a sync timing issue? Could there be an IMAP setting on sync timing causing this? Syncing too soon, while the msg is still in the inbox and the spam folder both?
I haven’t tried setting it all up as POP again, because I really want IMAP to work…

I don’t see how it could be a script issue because the script doesn’t move the message. It only changes the message’s category.

If the Message-IDs are different, I think these are actual different messages. Perhaps the ones without the Junk category were caught by a server junk filter and not processed by your Outlook rules at all.

In theory all other junk filtering is off. Earthlink and outlook both.

The script isn’t moving the spam, but setting the category make one copy move, but then another uncategorized copy of only those that have been categorized also move.
If there were some other entity deciding independantly about what was spam, then there would be some variation…
If I try to use the Train Good command, both copies move back to the inbox, and duplicate there, so now there are four.
The inbox on the iPhone and outlook also then consider these as new (paying attention to the Date Received which is changing to the moved date) vs the Sent date, so they float to the top also.

How can I nuke the whole script/rule configuration and start over?
Could it matter that the same account was once set up as POP and is now IMAP?
Is there a setting in the IMAP syncing options affecting this? Should it sync more often? Less often?

You can separate what SpamSieve is doing vs. other filters by choosing a different folder for the SpamSieve spam.

It sounds to me like either your Outlook database needs to be rebuilt or there is a problem on the server. It’s not normal for moving one message to move multiple ones, and the date should not change when a message is moved.

None of those should affect the behavior that you’re reporting.

I created another SSpam folder. Some are going to that new folder, some are going to the server Spam folder. Duplicating in either. The 2nd copy is always moved a few minutes after the first in either case. Deleted the Outlook prefs file (tho the Rules and Schedules were still there), no help.
Junk filtering is set to be off on both the server and Outlook.

It sounds to me like either your Outlook database needs to be rebuilt or there is a problem on the server. It’s not normal for moving one message to move multiple ones, and the date should not change when a message is moved.

Have done that many times.

None of those should affect the behavior that you’re reporting.

So, now what? Is this a bug in Outlook?

aha. I think it is a bug at earthlink, or perhaps how outlook syncs with it.
ANY mail I move to a different folder gets duped once it hits the server.