Spam not going to spam folder

I just upgraded my Mac to ElCapitan and now SpamSieve seems to have stopped moving spam to the spam folder.

I still have the menu options in MacMail to train as spam or good.

But when I mark emails as spam, they do not move.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Please check the setup in Mail to make sure that your SpamSieve rule is still in place.

Please check the Console for any errors from Mail or SpamSieve.

Spam failed to move
I have the same problem since moving to El Captain: The filter works, but the “Train as Spam” - fails to move chosen email to Spam folder. Yes, the Rule is in place…

Please check the Console for any errors from Mail or SpamSieve.

Spam failed to Move
I’m having the same problem. Here are the log excerpts:

10/5/15 2:22:22.583 PM adam[65227]: SpamSieve Apple Mail Plug-In [Train as Spam] Error Training: Mail got an error: Can’t get mailbox “INBOX” of account “Law E-Mail”.
10/5/15 2:22:53.647 PM adam[65235]: SpamSieve Apple Mail Plug-In [Train as Spam] Error Training: Mail got an error: Can’t get mailbox “INBOX” of account “Law E-Mail”.
10/5/15 2:32:49.561 PM Mail[65566]:
Loaded Mail Version 9.0 (3094)
OS X Version 10.11 (15A284)
Installed Bundles:
/Users/xxxx/Library/Mail/Bundles/MailActOn.mailbundle (3.2.1b1971)
/Users/xxxx/Library/Mail/Bundles/SpamSieve.mailbundle (1.8.3)
10/5/15 2:32:55.034 PM Mail[65566]: SpamSieve Mail Plug-In: Launching via launch agent failed.
10/5/15 2:32:55.228 PM SpamSieveHelper[65586]: Performance: Please update this scripting addition to supply a value for ThreadSafe for each event handler: “/Library/ScriptingAdditions/SIMBL.osax”
10/5/15 2:34:14.461 PM adam[65631]: SpamSieve Apple Mail Plug-In [Train as Good] Error Training: Mail got an error: An error of type 8 has occurred.

Thanks for your help.

Adam

From what I’ve seen, errors like this are caused by two interacting bugs:

1. Updating to Mac OS X 10.11 sometimes causes Mail to create a duplicate IMAP account where one didn’t exist before. The new account is marked as inactive, so you wouldn’t ordinarily see it unless you go to the Accounts section of Mail’s Preferences window.
  2. If you have two accounts with the same name (the Description field), Mail’s AppleScript support (which SpamSieve uses to move trained messages) can get confused and report that error when the script tries to reference a message in the inbox.

The workaround is to either rename or delete the inactive account so that all of your accounts then have unique names.

Thank you. I removed disabled and redundant accounts, which fixed half the problem. Now messages in the Inbox marked as “Spam” are moved to the Spam folder; however, messages in the Spam Folder marked as “Good” remain in the Spam Folder. The console generates an Error 8 message. Any suggestions?

Adam

Now messages in the Inbox marked as "Spam" are moved to the Spam folder

Worked for me, Thanks

Are you still having problems training messages as good? I had one other customer who would get the error:

SpamSieve Apple Mail Plug-In [Train as Good] Error Training: Mail got an error: An error of type 8 has occurred.

However, he said that the same redundant accounts fix worked for that error as well as the one when training as spam.

I have the same problem
My spam is not able to be trained.

I have visited Console, and have the following message:

7/10/2015 8:10:57.221 AM Arthur[652]: SpamSieve Apple Mail Plug-In [Train as Spam] Error Training: Mail got an error: Can’t get mailbox “INBOX” of account “…”.

I do not have any duplicated or redundant accounts, and SpamSieve is picking up ‘normal’ spam, I am just not able to train as spam.

I have not heard of anyone else in that situation. Please send in a screenshot of the Accounts section of Mail’s preferences and tell me the name of the account in the error message. Thanks!

Thanks for sending the screenshot. It looks like the account mentioned in the error message is a duplicate. There are an active POP account and an inactive IMAP account that have the same name. There are also two other pairs of duplicated accounts. I recommend that you rename the inactive ones to have “Inactive” in their Description field so that Mail doesn’t get confused.

Brilliant, many thanks. All working now.

I checked the console and I’m not getting any errors but my spam still isn’t going to the spam folder.

Please see this page.