Maybe a dumb question...

I’ve been using SpamSieve for years. I’m alarmed by how much time I have to spend every day going through my Spam folder and deleting messages there, just in case SpamSieve has missed one. The thing I don’t understand is why the same spam messages appear day after day that I have deleted the previous day.

Is it supposed to work that way? I would think once I’ve deleted a Spam that it should be gone for good. For example, I get the same “Reverse Hearing Loss” email daily, even though I keep deleting it. There are lots of others like that and it means I’m spending precious time reading skimming over the same junk every day.

Is this the way it’s supposed to work or am I missing something? Yes, SpamSieve is correctly putting the stuff in the Spam folder but why do I have to keep seeing it again every day?

Help!!!

David

Yes, that’s how it’s designed to work. With the normal setup, SpamSieve simply puts the spam messages in the Spam mailbox. Every spam message is different (even if they look similar), so it is never 100% certain that a message can be deleted, and SpamSieve errs on the side of safety. However, SpamSieve does color the messages based on how spammy it thinks they are, and you can optionally set it to put the more spammy colors directly in the trash.

Directly Delete All in Spam Folder After Review

While I don’t know whether it would be of help to you, vannuysd: Because there’s always a chance for a false-positive, and even potentially one with a high score, I prefer to review just the listing display of what has been put in the Spam mailbox and after retraining any false-positive e-mail(s)–hardly ever for me with SpamSieve–I then use Michael’s Apple Mail - Discard Spam script to directly delete what’s left in the Spam folder, bypassing the Trash mailbox.

And as covered in the Installation Instructions, I’ve also installed the free FastScripts so I could assign a keyboard shortcut to run that script. (I chose Control-Delete.)

So for me it’s a click on the Spam mailbox icon; review the index (and Train as Good any very-rare-for-me false-positive e-mails); and then do a Control-Delete. One click and one keystroke, with that intermediate review, and I’m set in a very-short and easy order.

David