Any Issues with File Transporter?

Am thinking of setting up large libraries on File Transporter. I assume it will be like Dropbox which I have no experience with, but I assume there are no issues there either, excepting keeping libraries open on multiple machines.

Yes, you would definitely need to follow the [EagleFiler Manual: How can I access my library from multiple Macs?]("]Rules for Shared Libraries. I do not have a File Transporter, so I’m unfortunately not able to test it for other potential issues. I would recommend being on the lookout for it possibly not preserving all the file metadata. Dropbox doesn’t preserve file creation dates, and all the other similar services I’ve seen preserve even less.

Here’s some information I found.

Metadata and disk format issues:

Metadata which is stripped when syncing from a Mac to Transporter includes but is not limited to: certain file label or tag schemes (such as that introduced in OS X Mavericks), file creation dates (may be reset to date file is copied to Transporter), Finder Info, file-level permissions (ACLs), and certain past version information (Apple’s “Modern Document Model” in particular–more on this below).

Working with very long filenames:

Though Mac users can safely use filenames to their limit of 255 on recent versions of OS X, doing so is not a good practice in mixed platform environment and will run afoul of both Windows and Transporter.

If placed in the Transporter folder, a file with a name over 218 characters will not sync from the computer on which it originated to any Transporter. If placed in the Transporter Library, a file with a name over 218 characters will copy to one Transporter but will not sync to any additional Transporter devices.

Illegal characters to avoid in filenames:

Within a Transporter environment, you’re generally OK if you follow naming rules for Windows, because OS X (Mac) is more permissive. The rules presented here are based on the Microsoft Developer Network document Naming Files, Paths, and Namespaces (Windows).

About the Transporter folder and Transporter Library:

Transporter uses two special-purpose folders to sync content with your Mac and Windows computers, the Transporter folder and Transporter Library. These folders are created when you install Transporter Desktop software, and they help control how your content will be stored and shared. This article describes the characteristics of each folder.

Thank You!

Thank you for this information Michael!