Considering purchasing EagleFiler, have questions!

Hi,
I have not purchased EF yet, just in the research phase. I understand with any software, one can run into issues like described in this thread. Do I understand correctly, that EF organizes your files in a manner that you can still find and use your files in the Documents Folder even if EF GUI does not see it or find them?

In other words, if the links in the EF UI get corrupted somehow, can you still see and use your files in Finder as if you never had EF?

As a user of EF, do you feel “locked in” in using EF? I currently feel this way with the software I have been using the past two years. The files are not stored in their original format, rather in XML or html format, making it a bit cumbersome to work with my files when the UI experiences issues.

Thank you in advance for your response.

Yes, you just need to observe the rules for library folders so that you do not move a file away from where EagleFiler is expecting it to be.

Yes. It is also possible to rebuild an EagleFiler library.

As a user of EF, do you feel “locked in” in using EF? I currently feel this way with the software I have been using the past two years. The files are not stored in their original format, rather in XML or html format, making it a bit cumbersome to work with my files when the UI experiences issues.

EagleFiler’s library is open, and it stores files in their original formats, so there is no lock-in.

Thank you for your timely response!
I did download the trial version of EF last night and have begun poking my nose around a bit. Thus far, it appears EF may fit my needs. I use Apple products exclusively, iMac, MBP and iPad Mini. I have only a few documents I need to view outside of the office/home, but will bring a lot of data from the field back to the office I need to put into EF, such as photos, drawings, expenses, invoices, and handwritten notes.

It may take a few minutes for my brain to sync with your application format (library structure, etc). I am not a programmer of any sorts. I am totally ignorant on that front. However, I am in need of an application that will handle all of my work and personal needs for managing documents I create, receipts, pdf’s, etc. to allow me to maintain a paperless filing system.

If I may use an analogy, EF’s library system is similar to iPhoto library, in that, all of the metadata for a file is stored in that library? So, if I move only the file, the metadata is left behind in the .eflibrary? Which is fine! I am just trying to understand.

Also, I can move another file into a .eflibrary via Finder (not using EF UI) and EF will later detect that new document?

When reviewing the link you provided to the Library Rules, some of it is foreign to me only because I have not started to use EF yet. So, I look forward to looking into it in more detail over the next few weeks.

Do you have a list of “use cases” one could review for ideas to use EF? If you have any further suggestions on documentation to review to better understand EF, I am interested in reading!

Thank you for the opportunity to review your product.

It’s similar to iPhoto in that EagleFiler manages the files, and you are not supposed to move/rename/delete them except using EagleFiler. Unlike iPhoto, however, you are free to browse/open/edit the files using the Finder.

The metadata is stored in different places. For example, the labels and tags are stored on the files themselves (using filesystem metadata). The notes are stored in the Notes folder next to the .eflibrary. The titles and source URLs are stored in the .eflibrary.

Yes. To be clear, you would move the files into the Files folder that’s next to the .eflibrary package. You should not open or modify the .eflibrary package itself.

There are several threads about this in the forum, such as this one.

I’ll chime in as a user to say that I find Eaglefiler MUCH more user-friendly and intuitive than iPhoto. The “library” structure does take some getting used to, but once you’ve got the hang of it, it’s completely intuitive.

A strength of Eaglefiler is that you are NOT locked in, and extracting yourself would not even be inconvenient. (As it is with services like Evernote or OneNote.) If you deleted Eaglefiler from your computer, everything would still be in the Finder, where you stored it originally.

I have done dumb things and messed up my library/libraries, but I’ve been able to rebuild it and never lost a file.

I’ve posted elsewhere about use studies: I use mine for research projects large and small, storing invoices and receipts, maintaining folders of possible future projects, storing ideas for books/movies/music to check out. And also email archiving.

Thank You!

Thank you CTS for your chime! I appreciate it! Now that I have been using EF for a couple weeks now, I too have found it to be very user friendly and intuitive with the Mac way of doing things. It is a good feeling knowing I am not “locked” into any particular format, and capturing, creating, searching and editing could never be easier! I am loving using EF! Like they say, “the greatest thing since sliced bread”!

Thank you again for your response!

Best Purchase
I want to follow-up with my inquiry above.

Over the past few weeks, I have been putting EagleFiler and SpamSieve through their paces. I have concluded these are the best software purchases I have made in years! The applications work seamlessly with all the apps I use on a daily basis in my workflow. I am extremely happy with the software as well as the excellent support the developer (Michael Tsai) provides.

If anyone is considering EagleFiler or any other app C-Command offers, I can assure you, you will be pleased!

Thank you Michael for an excellent product!