Slow "Train as Spam" and Keyboard Shortcut

Now, in addition to marking spam taking too long, I need to vent about my growing angst with my other “issue.”

I personally cannot stand how I have to use Control-Command-S to flag messages. It’s got to be one of the most unfriendly key combinations out there.

I’m really hoping I’m missing something on the ability to change it. I seriously hate it. Really can’t stand it. Shall I tell you how I really feel?

Now, on top of the painfully slow turnaround on marking them and the fact that somehow since I’ve upgraded it seems like a ton more spam is getting through, I’m having to use it more and I just hate using it.

I REALLY want a dang ICON to click. Click, click, click, click, click. Why can’t we have an icon? Why do I HAVE to use three fingers AND move my right-hand OFF my mouse and all the way over the left side of the keyboard to do these tasks?

PLEASE tell me I’m just not a power user and I just haven’t discovered some easy way to simplify this over-tedious process after all this time. Please?

As I noted here, there’s now a beta version of SpamSieve that works around the slowness from Mavericks.

You don’t have to use a keyboard shortcut at all. You can just click once on the Message menu and drag down to the “Train as Spam” command.

Which keyboard shortcut would you suggest instead? Unfortunately, all the simpler variants that use “s” (the obvious mnemonic for “spam”) already have other meanings in Mac OS X.

There’s a standard way to change any Mac menu shortcut:

1. Open System Preferences.
  2. Click on the Keyboard icon.
  3. Click on the Shortcuts tab.
  4. Select Application Shortcuts.
  5. Click the + button.
  6. For Application, select Mail.
  7. For the Menu Title, enter SpamSieve - Train as Spam
  8. Click in the box next to Keyboard Shortcut and enter your desired shortcut.

A sudden change probably means that something is no longer right in your setup. Please see Checking the Apple Mail Setup and What information should I include when I report a problem? (the “If you have spam messages in your inbox” section). One you fix this, you probably won’t have to train so many messages, either.

That’s a feature I plan to add in the next major version of SpamSieve. It has not been a high priority because it was not very commonly requested.

2 posts were split to a new topic: Apple Mail Hanging