Feature Request: Ordering Folders and Files

Hi,

Folders are automatically sorted alphabetically in the folder tree. It would be very useful if there is an option to change the order of the folders by drag-and-drop just like in Finder’s favourites sidebar.

Thanks.

Thanks for the suggestion. I agree that it would be nice to be able to manually re-order items in the source list. When there are two windows open for the same library, would you want the order to be the same or different?

Thanks for the quick reply. I use folders to store notes for my classes. Folders are named using the course id (eg. ENG101). I would like the courses in sequential order according to when I have them during the day. With that in mind, I would prefer to have the source list to remain the way I sorted it, irrespective of how many windows I open.

OK, thanks for the clarification. For now I would suggest using spaces or numbers (e.g. 9AM, 10AM) at the beginning of the name to achieve the desired sort order.

Michael,

I am already adding numbers at the front to keep folders in order. Hopefully, the above request will make it for the next update.

Thanks.

Re. Feature Request: Ordering Folders and Files

Chiming in with a +1 vote here for a ‘Manual Sort’ option for the Source List.

Chiming in with an, “If anyone were asking me, I would state my preference for library-dependent sort orders over window-dependent source orders. (In the hopes that I’d find it less confusing, and in the hopes that it would be easier for Michael to code – and thus would arrive as a shiny new feature sooner rather than later.)”

Alright, that’s enough out of me.

OK, thanks. That is the way I am leaning, too. Simpler, and I think people want the order to be semantic (like in an outliner application) rather than just a way of adjusting the view.

The original request for manual sort order was back in 2013, but as far as I can tell this is still not an option.
I too would find it very useful to be able to put the mailboxes in my email archive in EF in the same order as my (manually sorted) mailboxes in Mail.
And for me two, this would definitely be a sticky library-level setting.
Is this a feature we might hope to see?
Thanks

Yes, I’m still planning to add this feature. Thanks for the feedback.

Sorry to resurrect this old thread but I, too, would love this feature. I currently use numbers for sorting and it’d be great to nix the numbers and their extra visual noise. I use EagleFiler to organize software development notes so I definitely can’t have alphabetical folders in the case of something like To Do ➝ In Progress ➝ Done.

Thanks. :slight_smile:

1 Like