Error opening a file with the default app

Occasionally, I get an “OSStatus Error -600” reported by EF (1.6) and the Finder when I dbl click on a file in the Main EF library window. Typically it’s a PDF that I’m opening with Preview. A second attempt to open the file a few seconds later, however, often succeeds.

According to Apple this error means “No eligible process with specified process serial number” … although that tells me very little.
Can anyone tell me more about where this error is coming from and what I can do to avoid it?

Thank you

Peter

Which version of Mac OS X are you using? When you open a file in another application, the system sends that app an Apple event that tells it which file to open. This error means that it couldn’t find the process (app) to send that event to. Was Preview already running when you double-clicked the file? Did you have any search text entered?

Thank you, Michael.

OS X 10.8.4. But I’m not sure about the answers to the other two questions.

I often have Preview open in the background and I often have search terms in the EF window. I’m using it a lot at present during a research project. I’ll need to check to see if either/both correlates with the occurrence of the error. It’s only a minor annoyance, not a big deal. I’ll report what I find.

Peter