Importing Mails: Collected vs. steadily incoming

I am using EF for (1) archiving e-mails belonging to a project that I have collected in the last months/years as well as (2) e-mails related to the same project coming in daily. Now I noticed that the one cumulative import created two mailboxes (PROJECTNAME and SENT), mails coming in daily that I import with F1 are saved as (i think) eml-files.

Is there a way to have them added to the mailboxes? Or is it better to archive these e-mails regularly into the mailbox, merge mailboxes and search and remove duplicates?

I would just like to know the thoughts behind the mailbox/single-file-mail logic when importing so that I can a little bit adapt my workflow.

Thank you!

You can merge multiple .eml files into a new mailbox, and then you can merge that mailbox with the older mailbox.

The thinking was that for bulk archiving a mailbox is a more useful and efficient format. Yet for one-off imports of single messages, it’s more convenient to have a single .eml file that you can easily view and move around than a mailbox containing just one message. In other words, it was not designed for incremental updating of a mail archive. You can do that, but it (currently) takes extra steps. I don’t see it as necessary to merge each time you do an import.

Okay, got it. Thank you.

BTW - this has to be said here: Forum-support as well as e-mail-support is one of the best I have experienced by far!

Hello Michael,

I just found that the process is ONLY as described above - merge eml files first, then merge mailboxes… After trying to merge mailbox with eml file for ~20 minutes and wondering, what am I doing wrong? Any chance that in the future it will be possible to merge mailbox with eml file? Seems like it should be possible by combing the two pieces of code (create mailbox from the one eml file itself and then merge mailboxes).

Oh, thanks for making the EF to use Intel graphic card! Saves me time when I am using flight/drive time to cleanup my EF libraries.

That’s a feature that I’d like to add.