Duplicating Smart Folders

Hello,

Sometimes I find it useful to be able to duplicate smart folders. I often create a number of smart folders where there is a small difference between one smart folder to another, and it would be nice to be able to create a duplicate smart folder, and then modify one/few conditions, instead of repeatedly entering mostly the same conditions in a number of new Smart Folders.

Thanks,

Daniel.

Partial workaround
So it looks like I can go in to a smart folder, highlight and copy a condition and then paste it into a new smart folder. Of course, this works best if I have only one condition, so a better solution would be great.

Thanks,

Daniel.

Inside each library folder is a Smart Folders folder. The plist format is pretty simple; you can edit it in any XML editor. When the library isn’t open in EagleFiler, you can copy the “criteria” array from one plist to another.

So if I wanted to duplicate a smart folder, what would be a better approach? Creating a new smart folder from the EF user interface with no/dummy criteria, and then copying the criteria xml from an existing smart folder? Or would it be better to copy the entire smart folder folder, and make the modifications within the copy of the plist file?

Part of the reason for my asking is that I am looking for ways to easily duplicate entire smart folder structures, and it seems that if I build one structure, I could then make a copy of it and make the necessary modifications.

Thanks!

Daniel.

Both will work. But if you duplicate the plist file yourself you would need to edit it so that it has a different UUID in the content.id field.

That would work if you updated all the UUIDs, including the ones in the invisible .FolderInfo.plist files. I will look into adding a command in the user interface to make duplication easier.

I guess I am not clear on what I would need to update the UUIDs to.

Daniel.

Any unique string, i.e. not used by any other smart folders. You can type uuidgen in Terminal to get a fresh UUID.

This works fine - making a copy of the folder and generating a unique string for the UUID. It would be great if this could be something I do from the UI.

Thanks,

Daniel.