Thread: Sharing MS Word as an Attachment Crashes in Apple Mail with SpamSieve Active

Default Sharing MS Word as an Attachment Crashes in Apple Mail with SpamSieve Active

When I use the MS Word File > Share > Email (as attachment) menu command, to email a document in Apple Mail, I don't always get the expected results. Periodically, and after it's been working consistently for a while, when I try to share a Word doc using this command, I get the spinning beachball and my document isn't inserted into a blank Apple Mail email message. Eventually, the spinning beachball stops, but the only way to share the document is to drag and drop from the Finder to the Apple Mail Dock Icon.

If I reboot the computer, the issues resolves for a time, then returns. If I quit SpamSieve entirely, The functionality works perfectly and consistently without crashes.

I'm running SpamSieve V 2.9.5 and MS Word for Mac V 14.2.5 (build 121010) in Mountain Lion V 10.8.2.

Any insights would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by StephenWeil View Post
    I get the spinning beachball and my document isn't inserted into a blank Apple Mail email message. Eventually, the spinning beachball stops, but the only way to share the document is to drag and drop from the Finder to the Apple Mail Dock Icon.
    When you wrote “crash,” did you mean this spinning beachball? You didn’t get a ”Crash Reporter” window?

If I quit SpamSieve entirely, The functionality works perfectly and consistently without crashes.
    I think there must be something else going on here, because SpamSieve doesn’t ask Mail to do anything. Please see the Sending in a “Sample” Report page so that you can measure what Mail is doing during the beachball.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Tsai View Post
    When you wrote “crash,” did you mean this spinning beachball? You didn’t get a ”Crash Reporter” window?

I think there must be something else going on here, because SpamSieve doesn’t ask Mail to do anything. Please see the Sending in a “Sample” Report page so that you can measure what Mail is doing during the beachball.
    Was referring to spinning beachball as "Crashes".

I'll checkout "Sending a Sample Re[port" and the next time it happens, record what's behind the spinniong beachball.

Here's:

Sample Process of Mail
    Sample Process of Word
    Sample Process of SpamSieve

I needed to take them sequentially, since the beachball didn't continue to spin long enough to get all three at the same time.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Was referring to spinning beachball as "Crashes".
    OK, the proper term for that is “hang.”

Here's:

Sample Process of Mail
    Sample Process of Word
    Sample Process of SpamSieve

I needed to take them sequentially, since the beachball didn't continue to spin long enough to get all three at the same time.
    Thanks. It looks like this is unrelated to SpamSieve. You seem to be running into this bug in Mac OS X 10.8.2, which affects the communication between Word and Mail. It should help to quit appleeventsd.

The bug seems to be fixed in Mac OS X 10.8.3.

Default Apple Mail & Microsoft Word playing nice again

Yes, it appears that OSX 10.8.3 has fixed the problem.