10.6 not showing background images when creating from a folder

Has anyone encountered a situation where 10.6 isn’t showing background images on a dmg’s window when you create the dmg using a folder?

For example, take a folder on your creation machine (I’m running 10.8.2 in my case on an iMac 2010) and create a dmg from that folder with DropDMG and a custom background image. Take the DMG and open it on a 10.6 machine. In my lab, it’s coming up with a white background. If I take that same Configuration/Layout, however, and create a DMG from just one file, the 10.6 machine shows the background just fine. This obviously presents a problem where I want to include two files in one DMG and have a background image.

Here are the steps to reproduce:

1). Configure a layout with two files and a background image on a Mac running 10.8.2.
2). Set a configuration to use that layout and to also use a custom icon for the mounted volume, but don’t specify a specific file; just let it use what it finds in the target directory.
3). Put two files into a directory (in my case I’m using a pkg and a read me)
4). Point DropDMG to the target directory and create an image
5). Open the dmg on the 10.8.2 machine and verify that the background image is present.
6). Copy that dmg to the 10.6 machine and open it. In my case, there is no background image present.

I’ve tried turning off the Esoteric Preference for background images on retina to no avail (incidentally, how do I turn that back on after I’ve turned it off?).

Here are the machines I’m using:

iMac 2010 running 10.8.2 and DropDMG 3.2
Mac Pro 2008 running a fresh install of 10.6.8

Many thanks for any insight that anyone may have.

Regards,
Rafi

Do you see that same problem with the DropDMG-3.2.dmg?

To turn it back on, click where it says “both Retina and non-Retina.”

Yes, I’m using version 3.2.

Got it; can’t believe I just scanned over that. Thanks.

To be clear, I’m asking whether you see the problem when displaying the actual DropDMG-3.2.dmg file (which I created using Mac OS X 10.8.2). Or do you only see the problem with .dmg files created on your Mac?

It’s interesting that you ask… If I open the DropDMG 3.2 dmg on a 10.6.8 mac, here’s what I get:

Screen shot 2012-12-05 at 10.38.59 AM.png

If I expand the window, here’s what I see:

So the difference between the dmg I create on my 10.8.2 machine and the drop DMG volume is that the placement of the icons in my DMG is retained, while the background is lost, and the placement of icons in the Drop DMG dmg is lost, while the background is retained.

Rafi

The placement of the icons of the DropDMG dmg is correct. The problem is that the background image is displayed at double-size (since 10.6 doesn’t understand Retina images). This is the reason for the DisableRetinaBackgroundPictures esoteric preference (which I’ve chosen not to use).

Have you tried creating your dmg using a different background image?

Yes, I’ve tried with two different background images.

Please send me an e-mail containing your layout (which you can drag from the list in DropDMG’s preferences).

It does not look like rafiguroian ever followed up, so I am assuming that the problem is solved.