spam marked but not moved to spam folder in Apple Mail

In Apple Mail (2.1 on OS X 10.4.7) I set up the SpamSieve rules as suggested for scoring spam and then seperating levels of spam - Blue, grey, purple, etc. on all messages and them moving the high scoring spam to the spam box. After which I have another rule that says “all mail with a to of work@mydomain.com, move to mail box work”. (So basicly, all mail heads towards my inbox and what ever is marked work goes to work inbox.)

The rules are set up in the order of scoring mail, coloring mail (and then deliver mail.

So far, the system has done a decent job of scoring and coloring mail. And mail has been able to handle seperating the reg inbox mail from the work mail. Spam Sieve has had trouble with completing its task of moving mail to the spam folder. It scores and colors them well, but it doesnt always move all the spam it has colored to the spam folder. Is there a time lapse between when it scores, and then colors and then moves the spam mail? Or is it done as the mail downloads? If its not a time lapse issue (ie-my not waiting long enough for the app to do its job) then how can I fix this?

I’ll need you to be more specific about what your rules say; I suspect that they might not be set up quite right. However, I can start by clarifying a few things:

First, the “SpamSieve [Score]” rule scores the mail and applies the colors. The purpose of the SpamSieve rules with the colors in the names is to match messages that have those colors (as a result of the scoring). If the message has the color (and the rest of the rule conditions match), then Mail applies the rule’s actions. If there is no rule matching certain colors of spam messages, then those spams will be colored but not moved anywhere. To move the remaining spam messages to the Spam mailbox, you need to create a rule that matches their colors explicitly or that uses the “[Spam]” catch-all.

Second, there are no timing issues to worry about. SpamSieve scores and colors the messages instantly (from Mail’s point of view), and after that Mail handles essentially everything else. If a message is moved, it’s because Mail moved the message as a result of applying a rule action. If a message isn’t moved, it’s because there was no rule with such an action whose conditions were satisfied.

My rules set up
Michael-
I see what you are saying. Here are my Mail rules:

1. SpamSieve [Score]
    If any of the following conditions are met:
    Every Message

Perform the following actions:
Move Message to the Mailbox Spam

1. Spam Sieve [Blue][Grey][Purple][Red][Orange][Yellow]
    Every Message

Move Message to the Mailbox Spam

1. work
    To contains work@mywork,com

Move Message to mailbox work

I think the problem is that you typed “Grey” instead of “Gray”.

Also, your rule is moving all the different colors to the same mailbox. If that’s what you want to do, you don’t need a “[Score]” rule or rules for the different colors. You could simply create a single rule like this.

Hmmm, ok. If I just do the standard rule for filtering spam, will it still color them based upon the % of them potentially being spam? I find that feature is very helpful.

Those unregistered postings
was actually me. sorry about that.

Yes, it will still color the spam messages if you use the standard rule, unless you turn off coloring using the Change Settings command.