Feature: zooming with cmd-=

This is a pet peeve that I have with a lot of OS X software.

EagleFiler’s hotkey for zooming in is cmd-+, and its hotkey for zooming out is cmd–. What this means when using the +/- keys adjacent to the number row (near delete key) is that the keypress cmd-- zooms out, but to zoom in the user has to use the keypress cmd-shift-= (in order to get the + character).

This makes no sense. Apple gets around the problem by displaying the hotkey cmd-+ in the menu but accepting cmd-= (take a look at Preview, for example). I would be very grateful if you implemented the same functionality in EagleFiler. I checked; there’s nothing boung to cmd-=, so making it act the same as cmd-shift-+ wouldn’t interfere with a current shortcut, and would make the whole zooming-by-hotkey thing much more intuitive.

Yes, this has been on my to-do list for a while; I just haven’t gotten to it yet. In the meantime, it should be possible to use the Keyboard pane of System Preferences to change the shortcut to Command-= if that’s what you want.

You know, just when I think that I’ve got OS X figured out someone points out another sweet piece of functionality that I’d never known about. I didn’t realize that I can adjust keyboard shortcuts per application in the System Prefs. Thanks for pointing that one out! What a sweet feature.

In EagleFiler 1.1.4 you can use Command-= instead of Command-Shift-=.

A post was split to a new topic: Zooming in RTF Files