Automator and DropDMG 3.03 w/ Large Folders

I’ve been trying to create a Automator workflow that would get a folder of PDFs (approximately 480mb) and convert it into a dmg file. After selecting the folder, DropDMG launches and begins processing. Every time I’ve tried, the Automator program returns the following error: “The operation couldn’t be completed. (OSStatus error -1712.)(-1753)”. Each failure happens very shortly after 120 seconds.

If I open DropDMG directly and drag the same folder of files in, a dmg is created after approximately 9 minutes. It seems to me then that Automator is giving up before DropDMG finishes.

Does anyone have this experience or know of a workaround?

Thanks for the report. I’ll fix this in the next version. Please contact dropdmg@c-command.com to get a pre-release build.

This is fixed in DropDMG 3.0.4.

Error Now Occurs in Version 3.0.4
I’m getting this error now [The operation couldn’t be completed. (OSStatus error -1712.)] in DropDMG 3.0.4, trying to back up my home directory, which is 4.2 GiB in size. The error occurs after some 10-15 minutes of processing. The error is generated by the following statement in a shell script:

dropdmg -f zlib -s 4692 -o “$TEMP” -c aes-128 --append-current-date “$BACKUPDIR”

where TEMP=/private/tmp and BACKUPDIR is my home directory.

$ dropdmg --version
DropDMG 3.0.4

OS X 10.6.6

Please contact me via e-mail, and I’ll get you a pre-release build of DropDMG that addresses this problem.

This is fixed in DropDMG 3.0.6.