.eml files, dates, and replies

New to EagleFiler. I like it - moving from Yojimbo which I never really used to its full potential.

I’ve noticed that if I import .eml files into EF, the date for the library item is the date imported, not the date of the email. Is there anyway to have EF automatically get the right date from the headers of the .elm file?

Also, I’ve noticed with some of my test emails, if I try to reply to them from within EF, not all of the body is quoted; some is just missing in the reply. Is this a known issue? Thanks.

Currently, EagleFiler sets the date from the headers when it creates the .eml file, but it preserves the date on an .eml file that you give it. What is the source of your .eml files?

No. Please e-mail me one of the message files so I can investigate this.

Ahh, makes sense. The .eml files are from a python script of mine. I pipe a message in mutt to the python script and it saves the message to a file with a .eml extension, and then it calls EF to import the file.

I realize I’m probably desecrating some standard here, but the .eml file format looked like just a text file with a standard set of email headers and the body. But it seems to be working in EF and I get Quick Look previews to boot.

I’ll look for a good example of the misquoting and mail it to you.

It would be a bit of work, but you could probably use Python’s e-mail library to parse the date out of the message headers and set it as the modification date of the file.

No, that’s pretty much what the .eml format is: the RFC-2822 source.

I’m already using it to generate a suitable file name, so setting the mtime would be no problem. I was just curious to know if it was necessary.

Thanks.

With EagleFiler 1.5, when importing a .eml file, EagleFiler now changes the file’s dates to match those of the contained e-mail message.