Message duplicated when Train as Good

I’ve noticed that messages are being duplicated when I use Train as Good on them.

I start with one message in my Spam folder, highlight, Train as Good, and end up with 2 identical messages in my Inbox.

I have multiple (IMAP) accounts on my Mail config. Several of those are Google mail (gmail and google apps domains). I have noticed this happen on the google accounts (but have not demonstrated it on the non-google accounts).

Is this a known issue. If not what do I need to do to help diagnose it…

Nigel.

Does this occur if you drag the messages to the inbox instead of training them as good?

Where is your Spam mailbox located?

No, except insofar as each Gmail label will create another copy of each messages when accessed via IMAP.

No - in that case I just see a single message.

However I want to test that further since it also appears that I can do Train as Good on one of the google mail accounts without getting dupications, so I need to characterise this a bit better - will do that when I have more spam to test against :slight_smile:

Its the default account spam box - so for the google accounts its the google spam folder.

Further information
I have tried a few experiments today…

First, the duplication issue does not appear to be tied to any one account (or to a google account type as suspected) - it happens randomly - here are some log entries for doing Train as Good on 2 messages in one Spam folder (although I view all my spam folders in Apple Mail as a single Smart Folder). This resulted in 3 (ie one duplicate) messages in the inbox, which I then marked as Spam:-

=====================================================================
Trained: Good (Manual)
Subject: Акция: 5 рассылок за 10 тысяч + Хостинг на месяц
Identifier: xhUIzYDnOQRmVDVjR9cwqg==
Actions: added rule <From (address) Is Equal to "homeoffice@americanrecoveryassn.org"> to SpamSieve whitelist, added rule <From (address) Is Equal to "allyr305@riverbelle.com"> to SpamSieve whitelist, added rule <From (name) Is Equal to “ООО Вам Письмо”> to SpamSieve whitelist, added to Good corpus (3154)
Date: 2010-02-17 11:45:12 +0000

Trained: Good (Manual)
Subject: Использование нерезидентных (оффшорных) структур. Максимум возможностей
Identifier: Ii/pPc3jD0YlnvGJ2PgdzQ==
Actions: added rule <From (address) Is Equal to "aciprensa@aciprensa.com"> to SpamSieve whitelist, added rule <From (address) Is Equal to "cicciobu@skypool.ru"> to SpamSieve whitelist, added rule <From (name) Is Equal to “Для чего нужна оффшорная компания”> to SpamSieve whitelist, added to Good corpus (3155)
Date: 2010-02-17 11:45:13 +0000

=====================================================================
Trained: Spam (Manual)
Subject: Акция: 5 рассылок за 10 тысяч + Хостинг на месяц
Identifier: xhUIzYDnOQRmVDVjR9cwqg==
Actions: disabled rule <From (address) Is Equal to "allyr305@riverbelle.com"> in SpamSieve whitelist, disabled rule <From (name) Is Equal to “ООО Вам Письмо”> in SpamSieve whitelist, added rule <From (address) Is Equal to "allyr305@riverbelle.com"> to SpamSieve blocklist, added rule <From (name) Is Equal to “ООО Вам Письмо”> to SpamSieve blocklist, added to Spam corpus (5535), removed from Good corpus (3154)
Date: 2010-02-17 11:48:25 +0000

Subject: Использование нерезидентных (оффшорных) структур. Максимум возможностей
Actions: disabled rule <From (address) Is Equal to "cicciobu@skypool.ru"> in SpamSieve whitelist, disabled rule <From (name) Is Equal to “Для чего нужна оффшорная компания”> in SpamSieve whitelist, added rule <From (address) Is Equal to "cicciobu@skypool.ru"> to SpamSieve blocklist, added rule <From (name) Is Equal to “Для чего нужна оффшорная компания”> to SpamSieve blocklist, added to Spam corpus (5536), removed from Good corpus (3153)

Actions: already in Spam corpus (5536)

I’ve gone through my rules - they look fine (I was missing them for one account - but that account is spam free anyhow).

I have a SpamSieve [Score] rule, followed by one SpamSieve [Account] rule per account.

All the accounts have some form of server side spam handling, so the majority of what hits the spam mailboxes (including the examples in the log entries) are never seen by SpamSieve on initial delivery. By happenstance, on the google accounts at least, SpamSieve’s train as good also effectively signals the google spam detection engine.

By the way this is not a major problem - its a minor niggle which I have seen for ages (prior to last update) but never bothered about chasing down.

I recommend always telling SpamSieve the truth. Don’t tell it that a good message is spam or vice-versa. For testing purposes, it’s better to drag an actual good message into the Spam mailbox and then train it as good.

I don’t think the rules or SpamSieve’s log have any bearing on this issue. The bottom line is that when you train a message as good, SpamSieve asks Mail to move it to the inbox. If Mail reports an error, SpamSieve asks it again (in a different way); this was necessary to work around a bug in previous versions of Mail. It’s possible that Mail is malfunctioning and creating a copy of the message after reporting the first time that the move failed. If you’d like to investigate this possibility, please contact me via e-mail. Also, when you notice duplicated messages, please note whether there are any log entries from Mail in the All Messages section of the Console application.

Same issue
Is there a resolution to this issue? I’m having the same problem.

This is not a generalized problem that lots of users are seeing. So the resolution will probably depend on your particular Mac. Please contact me via e-mail and include the requested information.