EF & Thunderbird

I’m a Thunderbird fan. Already at Linux, Windows and since 2 years on my Apples.

So after discovering your fine app (by means of the Scrivener forum) I was very disappointed that the F1 key doesn’t work in Thunderbird as mail is one of my daily sources of information. The ‘print>pdf’ trick is an option but at the cost of quite some keystrokes and bigger files than necessary.

But… I dicovered a better way: Cmd-S (save as file)-Enter. This creates a .eml file (including attachments) at the desktop. Afterwards I select these .eml file(s), drop them into EF and then into trash.
Works like a charm and I’m totally happy now.
Works even better than F1 in Mail for that creates a folder + message in EF.
The ‘print>pdf’ method is still useful for archiving ‘official’ mail as receipts or tenders and stuff.

One question though: do you think it possible to automate the sequence ‘Cmd-S-Enter > directly into EF’ ? Maybe with AppleScript… I’m not a programmer so I totally wouldn’t know.

Thank you,
Joeri Porta

Yes, unfortunately Thunderbird is not AppleScriptable.

I think it would save you some steps if you saved the file into EagleFiler’s “To Import” folder. Then you wouldn’t have to drag and drop the files or trash them.

Wouldn’t it be better to save the actual source of the e-mail (i.e. the .eml file) for official records?

In other words, you want to press one key rather than two?

No, I’m not that lazy :slight_smile:

I meant:
F1
instead of
Cmd-S (save as file) > Enter > drag files into EF > drag files into Trash

But saying that I didn’t realize about the ‘To Import’ folder as you suggested.
And yes, then you’re right: two keys to press. Which is perfectly ok for me.

Thank you

Well, if you want to press one key you could use FastScripts to invoke an AppleScript such as:

tell application "System Events"
    tell application process "thunderbird-bin"
        keystroke "s" using command down
        delay 1
        keystroke return
    end tell
end tell

It won’t work with EagleFiler’s capture key, as that expects data to be returned to EagleFiler.

“To Import” folder
Hi !

There is no “To Import” folder in EagleFiler folder (in Applications and in Documents). Do I have to create it ? and if so, where do I put it ? This is to put directly .eml files.

That’s because you have to say which library you’re importing into. Each library has its own “To Import” folder next to the .eflibrary file.

To Import folder
Michael, I finally realized that every EF library has its own import folder… Sorry to disturb you ! and also thank you for your recent EF update.