A few features for my wishlist

EagleFiler 1.1 is great. Most of the things on my wishlist for the last version have already been added but I have a few small things left.

EagleFiler’s primary use for me is to enable me to find any document easily. In the past I have always used a deep hierarchy of folders but am realizing that a combination of a few folders with tagging is much better. For that reason, I would like to be able to see all documents that remain untagged, to help me process my library.

I would also like to see the names of the tags assigned to a doc on the main Library window. The column exists right now but doesn’t seem to show anything other than a dot.

When selecting a tag in the Source List, I would like the first document in the list to be automatically selected and shown.

When I am looking at documents I would love a “Zoom to page width” option so that I can read them easily within EagleFiler.

I plan on using EagleFiler the same way with only a few folders and tags. I do like how EagleFiler tags each new file with the “unread” tag. That helps me see what has been added to the library so I can then add my own tags.

I would like to see better integration with the Finder and/or open and save dialogues, however. Here’s my problem. Let’s say I create a new file with Word or Excel. How do I best get this file into my EagleFiler database? It seems like a two step process now (i.e., save the file and then go to EagleFiler and import). Is there an applescript or something that would automatically take any newly saved file and automatically add it to Eaglefiler?

This is a common request; it’s on the to-do list.

Do you mean as a column that shows all the full tag names?

Noted, thanks.

After saving the file in Word, you can use the capture key to import it into EagleFiler. Eventually, I’d like to make it possible to simply save the new file into a folder in the library and have EagleFiler recognize it.

Eventually, I’d like to make it possible to simply save the new file into a folder in the library and have EagleFiler recognize it.

This would be a great opion for me. Unfortunately, the import key doesn’t work for files like Excel.

I know that Transmission (Open source bittorrent program) has folder-watching capabilities. You have it watch a folder, and anything that shows up in that folder automatically gets opened. Not a performance hit, either.

Yes.

That would be awesome.

Sorry, I forgot to add a capture script for Excel when I added support for more document types. I’ll try to write one later today or tomorrow and post it in the forum.

Yes, there is some OS support for watching folders. Transmission is probably a simpler case than EagleFiler, though, since it’s only really watching one folder, not all the folders in the library. Also, applications can only watch folders while they’re running, and you’d probably want EagleFiler to recognize files added even when it wasn’t running. Anyway, I guess my summary is that I think there’s a way to make this work, but it’s not super-simple.

To add capture support for Excel, download this file, unzip it, put it in the folder:

~/Library/Application Support/EagleFiler/Capture Scripts/

(you may have to create that folder), and then re-launch EagleFiler.

Support for capturing from Excel is built into EagleFiler 1.1.1.

EagleFiler 1.3 added an Untagged smart folder.