New User, 1st Question (Importing)

I’ve just installed a trial version of EF and am having trouble getting up and running. It’s not all bleak; I successfully imported a hundred or so records from Yojimbo, have set up a couple of folders, etc., but I can’t seem to be able to do a simple F1 import.

I was reading a web page in Safari (http://www.pioneerinstitute.org/pdf/pdialg_3.pdf, if it matters), hit F1 to import, but the dialog box that the manual says should open at that point didn’t open. I thought nothing had happened, couldn’t find the imported file, etc., but an extensive search then revealed that a file whose title was “Microsoft Word - pdialg_3.doc” from “James” had been added to my Library. Since was a web page, not a Microsoft Word file, it was not “from” anyone" (especially the unknown James), I can’t figure out what’s going on here.

Also, somewhat related, when I opened the file its URL was not visible on it. Was that imported elsewhere (i.e., if I found this later, where would I be able to see its URL)?

And, one last one for this msg (I’m sure I’ll be back), is it possible to edit the title or file name of a file once it has been added? I can’t figure out how to give this mysteriously imported file a name or title I can recognize.

Sorry to be such a dunce, but will appreciate help.

When you press F1, EagleFiler captures without a dialog. To see the options dialog, you need to press Option-F1. Either way, EagleFiler will play a camera sound and bounce its Dock icon to let you know that it’s capturing. And if you have Growl installed it will show a notification when the import is complete.

As you can see from the “.pdf” in the URL, that’s a PDF (Portable Document Format) file, not a Web page. The title of the PDF says “Microsoft Word” because the author of the PDF used Word to create it, and Word added that to the title. “James” is from the author field in the PDF, probably the name of the user who created the Word document.

The URL should be visible in EagleFiler’s Info window and in a tooltip if you hover over the file in the records list. You can also use the Copy Source URL command in the Edit menu.

Yes, you can edit both the filename and the title from the records list (just click on the text that you want to edit) and from the Info window.

Thanks!
Michael, Thanks for being so prompt in your reply (an enormous benefit of using, or starting to use, EF!), AND for being so patient with a newbie. If I had read more of the manual before diving in I wouldn’t have been quite so much of a dunce.

Now if you’ll permit me another question (don’t know if I should have started another thread with this one), I’ve just (successfully!) imported a large number of my Apple Mail messages from two mailboxes, Inbox and Sent. Two questions here:

1. Is it possible to search on more than one field at a time? For example, I have a bunch of messages sent by various members of a group to some (but not all) members of the group. Thus it would be useful to be able to search for a name in the From field and the To field at the same time to find, say, msgs From Harry that also had Joe in the To field.

2. Is it possible to alter the fields that are displayed at the top of the records list (hope that’s the right term). For example, I don’t need the FROM field for the sent records, since all are from me, but it would be helpful to have the TO field visible. Since I wouldn’t want to remove FROM on the Inbox records, maybe all I’m asking is whether it’s possible to add the TO field at the top of the screen?

I’m sure I’ll have other questions, but I don’t want to monopolize, or even put a heavy strain on, your time. By the way, I’m a long-timer user of, and evangelist for, SpamSieve, and I’ve just purchased EF.

Yes, in the future please start new threads for distinct questions/problems.

You could do an Anywhere search for “Harry Joe”, which would find messages mentioning both names (thought not necessarily in those locations). Or you could create a smart folder to specify exactly what to look for, and where.

You can hide and show columns in the records list by clicking on the ▾ above the scroll bar or by Control-clicking on a column header.