SpamAssassin

Yo!

I’ve paid for SpamSieve, and it’s about the best $30 I’ve ever spent.

After using SpamSieve for two or three weeks, it’s very well trained.

Yesterday, I switched to a new host for my domain name and email accounts. The new host uses spamAssasin, so it puts SpamAssasin spam scores in the headers. The old host didn’t use SpamAssasin, so SpamSieve probably doesn’t consider SpamAssasin scores at this point. Naturally, I want SpamAssasin to take that information into account when screening mail.

Will SpamAssasin automatically start considering SpamAssasin scores? Will it work out better in the long run if I re-set the filter now, and re-train it?

Is it possible to write my own filter rules? If so, how would I write a rule that considers SpamAssasin scores?

Thanks,

Tim

I meant to ask, “Will SpamSieve automatically begin considering SpamAssasin scores?”

Tim

Man, I really bungled my previous question on this topic, posted a few minutes ago. I’m still sleepy.

I hope no one minds if I ask the question again, after I proofread my message more carefully.

What I meant to ask:

Yesterday, I switched to a new host for my domain name and email accounts. The new host uses spamAssasin, so it puts SpamAssasin spam scores in the headers. The old host didn’t use SpamAssasin, so SpamSieve probably doesn’t consider SpamAssasin scores at this point. Naturally, I want SpamSieve to take that information into account when screening mail.

Will SpamSieve automatically start considering SpamAssasin scores? Will it work out better in the long run if I re-set the filter now, and re-train it?

Is it possible to write my own filter rules? If so, how would I write a rule that considers SpamAssasin scores?

Thanks,

Tim

SpamSieve ignores SpamAssassin’s scores (since considering them proved to be counterproductive), but it leverages the results of the heuristic tests that SpamAssassin performs.

That might help since you changed your domain and addresses, but personally I wouldn’t bother unless I noticed an accuracy drop after the change.

You can create blocklist rules by choosing Add Rule from SpamSieve’s Filter menu. It’s not possible to create a blocklist rule that matches SpamAssassin scores, but as I said above I don’t recommend doing that, anyway.