Background Image for files made in 10.5 is not displayed in 10.4

What should I do when background image for files made in 10.5 is not displayed in 10.4?

Are you sure that the issue is 10.4 vs. 10.5? In most cases when a background works on one Mac but not another, it’s because the picture file that was chosen is not on the .dmg.

I made .dmg file on 10.5, mounted it, and it had background image in it. Then, I moved this file to 2 another macs running 10.4 and in none of them image background was displayed in mounted files.

It seems that you didn’t understand my previous reply. Let me try to explain it better. When you choose the background picture file in the Finder, the picture file must be on the mounted .dmg. If you pick a picture on a different volume, it will reference that volume. If you then try to mount the image on a different computer, the volume will not be accessible, so it will not display the picture.

Do you have access to a second 10.5 Mac that you could test it with? If it doesn’t work on a different 10.5 Mac, the problem is likely what I describe above. If it does work on the second 10.5 Mac, then the problem is elsewhere.

Yes. I tried on a second Mac running 10.5. The image was displayed.

I also did not understand what you mean this: “When you choose the background picture file in the Finder, the picture file must be on the mounted .dmg. If you pick a picture on a different volume, it will reference that volume. If you then try to mount the image on a different computer, the volume will not be accessible, so it will not display the picture.” What is the solution to what you described?

What kind of picture file did you choose? Did you follow all the recommended steps?

The solution is to copy the picture file to the mounted disk image. When pressing the Select button in View Options to choose the picture file, choose the copy on the mounted disk image.

“The solution is to copy the picture file to the mounted disk image. When pressing the Select button in View Options to choose the picture file, choose the copy on the mounted disk image.” Is there an option to do it?

No. You need to copy the picture file by dragging it in the Finder. Then go to View Options, press Select, and choose the copy.

This results in background image appearing as another file next to the application.

Yes, that’s how it’s supposed to be. If you want, you can make the background picture file invisible so that you don’t see its icon. When in your graphics program, you can use Save As and create a folder called “.background” (on the mounted image) to save the picture file in. This is discussed more in the instructions.

I think your software sucks.

DropDMG 3.0 offers much-improved support for creating disk images with background pictures.