Feature requests

I just downloaded EagleFiler, and have to agree with the testimonials that it looks like a fantastic app. I have been using Mori for similar purposes, which I liked because it got many little things right, and worked well for much of what I need. But I really was wanting to be able to include PDFs and other documents alongside my rtfd notes. I had tried DevonThink, but just wasn’t happy with its interface for reasons that I’ve forgotten. Anyway, I also really like EagleFiler’s tagging system, and especially that it stores its data as regular files (for easy syncing with iPhone, etc).

Anyway, there are a few features that I wish it had. If it already does have them, then please let me know. Otherwise, consider this a feature request, in roughly descending order of preference:

• Ability to sort records in arbitrary order. Many programs (like Mori) allow you to click the sort button (column title) a third time to get “unsorted” or arbitrary sort order (ascending/descending/arbitrary).

• Option to set the default rtf record color to white on black. This seems to be a rare feature of apps like this, and I suppose most people really like black on white, but it’s a harsh world for people like me who have sensitive eyes and have to stare at white backgrounds all day.

• Option to force filename to be equal to Title + extension. If I get rid of the Title column, and only use the File column, this leaves me with the extra clutter of file extensions, which I really don’t want, and the icon tells me the file type. One monkeywrench in this is that I’d like to be able to use colons in Titles, even though it appears that this is not allowed in filenames. Maybe colons or other special characters could be converted to something else, so that the filename would be nearly, but not precisely, Title + extension?

• Links to other records should not necessarily open a new window, but could switch to the record in the current window (perhaps a preference?)

That’s all for now. Thanks!

Do you mean in the source list or the records list? If the latter, should each source (or combination of sources) have its own manual sort order? Or should the order “stick” to the records themselves?

You could do this by creating an RTF file that’s setup how you want and using it as stationery.

Is that really what you want? Or would you prefer an option to hide the extension in the File column?

I’m planning to add a preference for this.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I mean the records list, yes. Mostly I’m referring to records in the Records source, and I haven’t thought much about the listing in other sources. I generally sort the highest priority items to the top, for example, when I’m organizing projects and subprojects, so I guess the answer is that the order should stick to the records themselves. It’s not too hard to add numbers to the beginning of my titles, now that I think about it, which might solve the problem for me.

You could do this by creating an RTF file that’s setup how you want and using it as stationery.

Great, thanks!

Is that really what you want? Or would you prefer an option to hide the extension in the File column?

Yes, I think that is probably the right way to do it, and apologize for not realizing that myself. I do still have a slight desire to use colons in titles sometimes (in this case it would have to be the filename), but I do enough programming myself to favor the simple solution by a wide margin, and can certainly manage without that.

I’m planning to add a preference for this.

Sounds great!

Thanks for the suggestions.

Thanks for the quick response!