Smart Stationery?

I’m a new user, and the stationery feature is particularly interesting at the moment.

Is it possible to have new records from stationery automatically name themselves? I want to keep a daily journal, and when I use the stationery for a journal entry, I’d like to have the file name be that day’s date.

Is it possible to have multiple parts in stationery? So if I create a new record from stationery, it would have a certain label, title (different from the file name), etc. inherited from the stationery.

The label will be inherited from the stationery if you set it in the Finder. The others are features that I’m planning to add soon. I’d appreciate it if you could give a specific example of what you’d like to be able to do.

Here would be an example of what I’m thinking of:

I would title the stationery “Journal Entry for (Dayname) (Month) (Date), Year”

So when I create a new record from the stationery, it appears as “Journal Entry for Sunday October 19, 2008”, and so on.

Beyond that, it would be great if stationery had the full functionality of the inspector, so you could set up notes, title etc. in advance. Let’s say I wanted to keep track of every phone call with doctors about a medical case. I could set the note to "Doctor’s Name: " and the title to " Call about: " Fill those in and sort by them later.

I don’t have an actual need for this right now, and maybe I’m trying to turn Eagle Filer into something it’s not. Maybe I just need something like TextExpander.

But I don’t think there’s any product currently available that does this and still keeps the files in an open format, and I think it could open a lot of possibilities.

Thanks. What do you want the filename to be? You said above that you wanted it to be based on the date, but distinct from the title.

Sorry for the confusion- it’s because I’m just starting to build my library, and trying to figure our what’s possible. The filename is more important, but having a separately set title and note would create more power or save time. So for a journal, I could create 3 pieces of stationery:

Blog Entry

Title: Blog Entry:
Filename: (Dayname) (Month) (Date), (Year)

Travel Entry

Title: Location:
Note: Google Maps Link:

**Meeting Entry:
Title: Meeting with:
Note: Concerning Project:

Then whenever I had something, I could just pop up the right piece of stationery, have it correctly dated in the filename, and have the title and note started.

Thanks for your responses and attention.

Thanks for the examples.

EagleFiler 1.4.1 adds support for stationery scripts. For each stationery file, you can create an AppleScript that EagleFiler will automatically execute when creating new records from that stationery. The script can determine the filename, from, note, source URL, tags, and title. For example, to make the filename be today’s date, you could use a script such as:

on metadata(_context)
    set _base to do shell script "date '+%A, %B %d, %Y'"
    return {|basename|: _base}
end metadata

and this will make the filename something like “Tuesday, October 21, 2008”.

I’m blown away!

In the ten days since this thread was started, every single thing requested has arrived, in an official release.

Tonight I’ve successfully used both the script on this page and the one in the manual. Now to play around with customizing it for different things.:slight_smile:

The notes and tags from Spotlight comments work perfectly.

Michael pointed out to me that there was already a “Duplicate” script](http://c-command.com/scripts/eaglefiler/duplicate-records) on the website (had success with that one, too)- I think that this could also be very powerful.

Finally, Text Expander works great in Eagle Filer, that could be used as well.