Why is SpamSieve not catching my spam?

This page is excerpted from the SpamSieve manual. For other answers to common questions, see the SpamSieve FAQ. For the most up-to-date information, see the SpamSieve Support page.

SpamSieve is normally highly accurate at filtering out spam messages, and once properly trained it will usually keep working well. If you notice a sudden drop in the filtering accuracy, this is usually because of a problem in your mail program’s setup, not because a new type of spam message is evading SpamSieve. This section will help you to fix such setup problems yourself. You can also ask for help if you need additional assistance.

1. When you receive new messages, the mail program needs to send them to SpamSieve for analysis. To make sure that it’s set up to do this, find the Checking the <Mail Client> Setup
    section below that corresponds to your mail program and follow the instructions in that section. 1. The mail program will only apply SpamSieve (and your other rules) to messages that arrive in the Mac’s inbox and are unread.
  • Are you reading the messages on a phone or other computer before your Mac sees them?

• Do you have rules set up on your mail server that move the messages out of the inbox?

• Is a server junk filter moving the messages to a Junk
    mailbox?

1. SpamSieve keeps a log of all the messages that it examined and why it thought they were good or spam. The Open Log section describes how the log can tell you whether a spam message was missed because of the mail program’s settings, SpamSieve’s settings, or SpamSieve’s training.
  2. For the best filtering accuracy, SpamSieve needs to be properly trained.
  • The Checking the Training section has more information about this.

• Also, make sure that you do not have other rules (besides SpamSieve) in your mail program that move messages to the spam mailbox or trash. Such rules can prevent you from properly training SpamSieve.

1. You can contact technical support at spamsieve@c-command.com. Before sending your message, please read the What information should I include when I report a problem? section. Make sure that you’ve included all of the general information, as well as the items requested in the If you have spam messages in your inbox
    section.