A few more questions

What is the best way to move or rename an EF library? Is it as simple as moving the entire directory and then renaming the .eflibrary file to the new name?

When I open an Eaglefile, it appears to index the entire file each time. For example, I opened a file with 278 records and in the activity monitor it was Indexing Records for all (actually it said 280 records, not the 278 in the library). After it completed I closed EF and immediatly reopened it and it went through the whole process again. Is this normal?

Another question I have is about the verify option. I’m having trouble understanding its usefulness. I’m sure I’m missing something obvious. If I have a file and I use the “Open in TextEdit” command, then I edit this file and save it, it now fails the checksum. The first time I ran the verify command I was alarmed that a few files failed, then I realized I had edited them at some point. Since we have the option of launching an editor from EF, it would be nice if there was some way to automatically update the checksum when the editing was complete. If a user doesn’t keep up with updating the checksums, then over time there could be a number of files that have been changed by the user. It would be confusing to see all these files that failed the verify and not know for sure if any were really corrupted. Will there be ever be an option to edit directly in EF so the checksums automatically get updated?

You can move the library folder wherever you want. You can also rename the library folder and the .eflibrary package, and their names do not have to match. Just make sure that .eflibrary, Files, and Notes stay together in the same folder and that you don’t move the library while it’s open in EagleFiler.

Yes. The reason it does this is that you might have modified one or more of the files while the library was closed. So when you open the library, it checks the modification dates to see if it needs to update the index. Since it’s not actually reindexing the files (unless it finds that they’ve changed) this shouldn’t take too long. The record count discrepancy is also normal; there are a few special records that don’t show up in the list.

I think the solution to this problem is to do the editing within EagleFiler if you want it to automatically update the checksum. I’m working on adding inline editing today.

Possibly there might also just be a command somewhere in the menubar to refresh the checksum for every file?

Yes, that might be useful for files that are edited outside of EagleFiler. Though, at present, you can do this from the Errors window after verification, and this is perhaps a bit safer as it forces you to pay attention to which files have changed.

This is becoming more of an issue for me. I’m up to about 450 entries in my EF library and it takes between 5 and 10 minutes to reindex each time I open it up.

I get messages that I can’t perform an action because an operation is currently in place. I don’t have a concrete example of this but the next I see one I can update this thread.

My concern is that this will only get worse as the number of entries increases. Is there anything that can be done to speed up this updating?

That’s not normal. Provided that the indexing process has completed, it should be very quick when opening the library. All it does is check the modification dates to make sure that the files haven’t changed since indexing. It should be able to check all 450 files in a second or two.

It’s possible that the index file is damaged. To reset it, close the library. Then Control-click on the .eflibrary file in the Finder and choose Show Package Contents. Open the Indexes folder and delete the Records.efindex file (or send it to me for analysis). The next time you open the library, it will do the reindexing, which will take a while, but subsequent indexings should be quick.

Thanks. I’ll give it a try.

That did the trick. When I open it now, it indexes for maybe a second or two. Thank you very much.

EagleFiler 1.1 adds this option.

As of EagleFiler 1.2 there’s an easier way to do this: hold down the Command and Option keys when opening the library.