Importing Entourage Mail

I’ve imported both my In and Sent mailboxes from Entourage into EF. When I tested it to see if how well it does in finding mail for a particular individual using the to/cc search, I found that it only found some of that individual’s mail (cross compared with the Entourage In/Sent folders in Entourage). For example, for bjohnson@yahoo.com - I entered bjohson@yahoo.com and only 29 of the 50 bjohnson@yahoo.com mail was found. I copied both mailboxes into Finder then dragged them into an EF folder labeled Mail which created to subfolders Inbox and Sent.
Any thoughts about what happened or what I need to do differently. I demoing EF primarily because of the ability to archive Entourage Mail.

It sounds like what you did should have worked. Was there anything going on in EagleFiler’s Activity window? It’s possible that it was still building the table of contents for one of the mailboxes. If you still can’t get it to work, I would need to take a closer look. Please make a new library containing just those two mailboxes, compress the whole library folder, and e-mail it to me.

I deleted the EF library and started fresh. This time it worked. I think the problem was that I didn’t allow enough time for the indexing to complete. In fact, I didn’t know there would be a time lag in the process until you suggested I check the activity window. When I did check - I could see that it took about 10 minutes to complete the indexing of all my email. Thanks! Now I’ll spend some time figure out the rest of the program to see if it fits my needs.

Thanks for the follow-up. Just to be clear, there are two separate “indexing” steps. Building the mailbox’s table of contents happens first. This is relatively quick, and it lets you see the messages and search by title, from, and to/cc. The actual indexing takes a bit longer, and this is what enables the full content searches.

One last question. Does EF effect the overall speed of my Mac? Will it slow down other applications?

Generally speaking, no. Of course, your Mac has limited processor and storage resources, so if you’re doing something intensive in EagleFiler—like indexing some newly imported files—that will temporarily take some processor and disk time away from other applications (if they needed them at that moment). But, (a) today’s Macs have plenty of processor power to do multiple things at once, and (b) most of the time EagleFiler is idle, anyway.