Adding/Deleting Files

I’m looking at EagleFiler, and I have a couple of questions. Since it is an open directory in the Finder, I’d like to avoid keeping two copies of everything, and avoid having to first save a file somewhere, import it into EF, and then go back and delete the original. I tried saving a test file directly from Word into the EF library directory in the Finder, which I then imported into the library through the EF library view. This seemed to work fine, until I tried deleting it. EF deletes it from the library view, but not from the Finder directory itself. In other words, EF doesn’t list it anymore, but it’s still there in the EF directory in the Finder.

When I import a file from another location, it shows up in the EF Finder directory just like above, but when I delete it within EF, it is deleted from the library directory in the Finder as well.

It would be nice to be able to save directly into the library folder and have full control over it in EF. It would also be nice if EF automatically noticed a new file and imported it. Whether or not this is reasonably possible or not . . .

I read earlier that you will soon add the ability to import Excel files, which is very important for me. Also, if there was some way for EF to create aliases or some kind of acknowledgment of unrecognized files, it would be easier to embrace EF as a comprehensive file management system. As it is, esp, without Excel files, it’s hard to use it for other than specialized groups of files (which is still very useful of course). I don’t need it to actually open the files within, but I would like to be able to see and tag them and such.

One other note, I noticed that the capture key only seems to work, at least on a Word file, after the file is saved.

I hope all this makes sense–overall, I like what I see so far–

Thanks!

What happened in this case is that importing the file caused EagleFiler to create a copy of it in the library, and then when you deleted the file EagleFiler removed the copy.

It’s something I’m considering, but for now you should not create files or folders inside the library folder, except through EagleFiler (e.g. by using the New Rich Text File command).

That’s correct. With other applications, like Safari, you can capture at any time, and EagleFiler will create a new file in the library with the captured data.

As of EagleFiler 1.1, it’s possible to import any kind of document into EagleFiler.

I’m continuing to work on supporting this in a more general way, but as of EagleFiler 1.2 you can save into a library’s “To Import” folder to have the file automatically imported.