Initial responses

I have just downloaded Eagle Filer and have some initial responses having worked with it for an hour or so:

1. Is it possible for the user to add smart folders?

2. Is it possible to add URL’s without archiving the pages? The archive feature is extremely useful for the purposes of research, but linking to the current page is also helpful.

3. I tried to apply a label to an individual mail message within a mail box I had imported from Entourage - the label was applied to every email in the folder.

4. Could it be possible to drag individual emails from Entrourage into Eagle Filer? I have recently started using KIT, and it is possible with this application…

5. Cross-grades! There seem to have been a number of similar apps appear over the past year or so, and I have tried all of them that I have come across, trying to find one that works for me for a number of tasks. I have been using Records Manager for a while, and just a couple of weeks ago purchased KIT ($19.95)… My initial impressions of Eagle Mailer is that it is superior to both, and would be able to replace both, but it gets expensive to purchase a similar, albeit superior, app. I’m not sure the advantages that Eagle Filer offers are, of themselves, worth the $40 price tag… It is just a thought, but you might get more people migrating to Eagle Filer if you offered a cross-grade.

This seems like an excellent app, especially for a first release. I have used SpamSieve for years, and so I know the support and development will be excellent.

1. User-created smart folders didn’t make it into 1.0, but I do plan to add them in a future version.
  2. URLs are always downloaded into Web archives, but you can use the Open Source URL command to open the current page.
  3. Labels are applied on a per-file basis (they’re actually regular Finder labels), and messages are stored in mailboxes, not as individual files–thus the effect that you saw. I suggest using tags instead.
  4. I will add that to the to-do list. In the meantime, you can drag the text of the message to EagleFiler, or print the message and choose “Save PDF to EagleFiler.”
  5. Thanks for the feedback. I will consider offering cross-grades. (But I don’t want to discourage people from purchasing, so if you purchase now and I later offer a cross-grade, I will refund you the difference.)

This should work as of EagleFiler 1.1.

This is possible in EagleFiler 1.4.

EagleFiler 1.4 added a preference for this.

That’s because Mac OS X labels work at the file level, however with EagleFiler 1.4 you have the choice of storing e-mails as individual files, so they could have individual labels.